“Hm, looks like a fun game!”
Оpens Steam page
[Game Name] is already in your Steam library
Favorite game genres: Horror, Story Rich, RPG, First-Person, Walking Simulator, Stealth, Visual Novel, Point & Click, Casual.
The Window Box
- Relevant, important, artistic.
- Great art. Magical realism. Quirkiness.
- Female characters!
- Paige is the cutest and the most relatable.
- Depressing AF, which is to be expected, given the subject matter.
pianoVictrola puzzle. At least it’s not randomized, so tone-deaf players like me can just look it up.
- No text autoplay and no text display speed settings, so clicking to see the next bit of text is annoying and slow.
Got stuck forever at the book puzzle.
Vampire: The Masquerade - Coteries of New York
- Great art
- No expected VN features like skipping seen text, adjusting text speed or auto mode not to have to click all the time to advance. In a game that is meant to be played through several times. And no manual saves. … Get ready for a lot of clicking!
- Interactive fiction/RPG that’s not that interactive. At first it seems like it’s intense. One wrong choice, and you’re done. But, no. Not really. To really fail, you have to really try. The outcome is still the same. And, some choices seem not to correspond to results/responses/outcomes.
- There’s an in-game deadline after which you’re thrown into the the ending part even though you haven’t completed half of the quests and their respective storylines. Maybe the deadline depends on one of the quests. IDK. Kind of bad for storytelling, though.
- The ending itself. It’s abrupt and unsatisfying.
- Typos towards the end.
Verdict: Although I don’t regret reading “Coteries”, I can’t recommend it because it’s annoying to play and the story does not compensate for the annoyance.
TAISHO x ALICE episode 1
Great plot. Pretty art. One of the best otoge ever!*
- The heroine. She’s smart, sarcastic and funny. I love her!
- Red. He’s the best.
- The text is a pleasure to read. Lots of LOL-worthy and dramatic heartfelt moments. Also, plot twists!
- Yurika (the MC) isn’t voiced.
Yes, yes and yes, 10/10, GOTY, restored my faith in the otome genre, please release parts 2 and 3.
- My other favorites are The Confines Of The Crown, Date Warp, Fashioning Little Miss Lonesome, Nighshade, and Magical Diary: Horse Hall.
Murdered: Soul Suspect Beaten for Noirvember!
Didn’t collect all collectibles, though.
100% done with Corpse Party
She Sees Red
A VN, but with movie scenes instead of text, sprites, and CGs. There’s a True End and several Bad Ends.
- Short! Perfect for one evening/sleepless night.
- Badass female protagonist.
- Plenty of action (and stealth!) scenes.
- The story is not particularly mind-blowing or ground-breaking.
Yes, to everyone who likes interactive fiction and action films.
Hashihime of the Old Book Town and Corpse Party: Blood Drive
played read Hashihime for over 50 hours and ended up not liking it! Mostly because it contains many tropes I find annoying. Like, All Just a Dream, more or less. Really? Laughing&crying emote. Literary references, dreams/hallucinations, OR IS IT, видения/привидения, dead/not dead, time travel, multiple timelines, BOOKS, MOVIES, have I mentioned FICTION, boundaries between reality and fiction blur, coffee, sitting in cafes, IMAGINATION spongebob.gif, melancholy rain, books, fiction, writing. Literary & cinematic references. Yawn. MEEEH. I know this sounds weird, but these are my personal hangups. Lots of players (will) love this game. /vent
Fits the October: SCREAM theme.
(I hope the Finality achievement will be fixed in the nearest future.)
Corpse Party the First (https://store.steampowered.com/app/251270/Corpse_Party/) is good. Everything else in the franchise (so far) feels like fanfic of varying levels of crappiness. Blood Drive, in particular, in terms of writing and ending reminded me of Mass Effect 3, which is NOT a compliment. The old villain becomes irrelevant, more and more characters are added while old and interesting ones are sidelined, the final boss is introduced only to be defeated in the same fight. Well, whatever. Yoshiki is still the best.
Both games are taking longer than expected. Which is good because more entertainment. Or bad because it means I’m a terrible player :)