Murder is Meat
Belated May commentary
So, due to a mix of factors, this was not a “productive” month. Had to travel two weekends, so that absolutely influenced things. Also, I blame partially Deponia Doomsday, but more on that later.
- Goodbye Deponia: Finished it. I didn’t hate its ending like other people did. Talked last month against some of its flaws, but overall it’s a strong game. There’s a sequence near the endgame wish could have used slightly better signposting as to what was the intended sequence of things, but overall it flowed well.
- Deponia Doomsday: Haven’t finished it yet, but it’s underwhelming to say the least. Like, there’s a good puzzles and some of the chapters flow really well, but there’s also a whole lot of “but you must do it this way” involved, and other chapters are absolute messes in terms of how much they throw at you and how much pointless downtime you’ll likely spend trying to find the right bit to keep progressing. Oh, and lots of the achievements this time around are just plain dumb, requiring either unlikely or illogical sequences (two of them require you to repeat failstates repeatedly).
- Gato Roboto: I love this so far. Some boss encounters could use slightly better balancing and it’s a bit linear/railroaded by modern Metroidvania standards, but damn if it isn’t cute as hell and fairly charming in its humour. If you picked it up for free a while back, play it, you won’t regret it.
- Dustforce: Sucks that the only achievement is for 100% completion and that getting from level to level can be a bit repetitive, but… damn if it doesn’t feel great when you nail the levels. Shame the enemies basically kill your style score if you aren’t perfect at handling them (and you need those high ratings to keep unlocking levels), but when you get in tune with a level it’s super satisfying parkour. If you enjoy spectacle fighters, consider picking this up.
- Detention Played the start of this at the tail end of the month, so I guess that’s why it doesn’t show up. Seems fairly alright so far, a Coma Sisters-lte experience with a somewhat heavier setting.