I’ve beaten three games, all of which were quite enjoyable. I’m really happy with my progress, since now I’ve completed every game of the AC franchise I currently own. While I’m surely going to buy the next titles at some point in the future, I’m satisified with finishing all the ones in my backlog for the moment. I’ve seen a lot of people post about Quantum Break recently, so I gave it a go as well and I must say, I do not regret it. On with the reviews:
I’m looking for the next game after I’ve posted this.
As I said, I’m really happy with my progress. I’ll report back in a couple of weeks if this trend continues. Hope your gaming 2020 started equally good :)
Happy backlog-clearing to everyone,
So I started here about a month ago. After a bit of organizing, I stared constructing a backlog and since then I finished the following:
First Dredmor, I had it for a long time, but never bothered to reach the end and beat it. Played it by short sessions during the holidays cause I didn’t have much time and managed to beat it (unliving wall is so freaking dumb)
Orwell, Ignorance is Strength that I purchased last year but had forgotten about. As good as the first one.
Finally Valliant Hearts and Farabel, that I purchased during the steam winter sale. Managed to complete Valiant Hearth in uPlay (and damn that is some good writing :’( ). As for farabel, I beat it, might still play a bit more for some more achievements, but one achievement seems to require to play a lot more, I don’t know if I’ll have the patience for it yet.
2020: Year of the Backlog #3
I have a brief update today before I forget what I thought of some of the games I played. So let’s get to it.
I actually knocked out a few small games since the last update. Three of the games I got with PS+ and one I had bought for like $7. I am working on Sekiro and have actually beat the first main boss and a sub-boss after him. I’m really loving the game but man is it challenging. I just need to quit panicking sometimes and hitting the wrong button. This may be a bit before I beat it but that is ok.
Games I beat are starting with Star Wars Battlefront II. I tried working towards the platinum since it is said to be pretty easy. I just cannot get myself to do it. I am not really a fan of this game and just decided to beat the sort campaign and call it good. Even the campaign I was not that impressed with. The game felt generic to me and I am not sure why. My friend enjoys it but I have other games calling my name that I would rather spend time with.
Burly Men At Sea is up next which was like a choose your own adventure style game. It is pretty short to beat once but I went through and did every possible story to earn the platinum for this one. It had some humor and was pretty good overall. I would give it a thumbs up for a worth checking out. Plus it was very easy to platinum.
Next would be Hue which was a puzzle game using the color palette. It somewhat reminded me of Braid. Your character is named Hue and you find letters that are read to you in your mother’s voice explaining how she discovered color. I enjoyed the story but the gameplay was a little frustrating at times. I felt his movement was a little floaty. I would jump onto a platform and keep sliding sometimes. It deserves a thumbs up from me.
Last but not least I finished up What Remains of Edith Finch. I 100% the trophies but no platinum came with this game, unfortunately. It is a walking simulator where you play as Edith Finch discovering the stories of what happened to the Finch family. The story was fantastic with excellent voice acting. Humor and sadness all rolled into a great experience. If you get a chance then play this game.
On the PC side of gaming, I have not beat anything yet but I have a few that went into the gave up list. I am working on eden* and have not started Haunted House yet. I am not a big visual novel person but so far I am liking the story to eden. I will have my final thoughts on that later after beating it. Below is the stuff I dropped with revies and links to upvote or downvote if you please.
This game could have been fun if you had people to play with. It is just way to difficult to play by yourself. Trying to manage 8 kids and set up other tasks is too much for one. I just can't give this a thumbs up. Unless you have some friends hanging out to play then do not bother.
Mediocre garbage. RPG style zombie survival with bad controls and just overpowered enemies. Not sure exactly where I got this but it was most likely something that was in a bundle I bought. I gave it a try and now I am moving on.
Well that is all I have for now. Until next time have fun working on those backlogs.
The Death of Erin Myers is done and dusted. Pretty decent game. It’s a detective/mystery story centered around little “escape room” types of scenarios, wherein you have to clear a few puzzles to clear the vignette and move onto the next scene. Eventually, this all leads you to a pretty dark place. I’d say it took me right at two hours to complete, and I wasn’t really in any hurry. This was a Christmas gift from a good friend, but honestly, it’s worth buying at its asking price. It’s a solid psychological horror puzzle game that isn’t so complex as to have you seeking out a guide, and can be finished in a sitting. I enjoyed it.
A Year of Backlog Fight in Review
It took me long enough but I finally managed to scrap this 2019 summary post together before the end of January. It was mostly for stats and an easy way to lookback purpose, but
it actually made me realize I didn't do as bad as I thought I did Scratch that, I made a mistake copy pasting, I did as poorly as I thought. I didn’t finish as many games as in 2018, while I added less than half to the backlog than I did in 2018. So I guess this is something. Also, I changed the format of my favourite games I was applying the previous year to something a little more eye candy and a lot less text. Anyway, off with the nonsense chatter and on with the stats…
Another victory for the backlog.
Progress in 2019
Won on SteamGifts
Jan 1st (162 games) vs Dec 31th 2019 (165 games)
Gifts & Other Wins
Jan 1st (324 games) vs Dec 31th 2019 (376 games)
I'll keep applying last year's plan as it seemed to work quite well this year. (And because I'm lazy to copy pasta everything again)
State of the Targets on January 1st 2020 (for tracking purpose)
Won on SteamGifts 165 games
Gifts & Other Wins 376 games
Added in 2019 74 games
Weekly Games #72
I’ve really been slacking lately when it comes to preparing comments. I guess neither way turns out that great but damn it’s just so much quicker if I have one prepared. I don’t think I have anything to say again so short comment it is. I have though found out this week that I’m having a sister. All these weeks its been convinced that the baby will be a boy but in the end, its a girl. My 1st sister and my brothers are not gonna be pleased since they have many sisters at this point!
Stygian: Reign of the Old Ones is done and dusted. I had received this to review a while ago, but it clearly still needed some work, so I waited until now. It was actually a really good game, and definitely is one of the most Lovecraftian games out there. Although mostly a 2-D RPG adventure game with turn based grid battles, it actually has the most in common with Sunless Sea/Skies/House of Many Doors, and that style of Lovecraftian horror. In similar fashion, it doesn’t hold your hand, and the journal, while useful, is vague at times. That said, as long as you remember who you encountered and what they are about, you should have no problem finding a way to advance the story.
So, with all that said, I got about 18 hours in, and while I had quests active still, there did not seem to be a way to actually conclude them, and this bore out as fact once I reached the ending, which almost definitely is about where the devs likely initially planned to be about the halfway point. So….the game is finished, but also glaringly unfinished. Or rather, the game wraps up, but definitely doesn’t actually conclude the story or even some of the quests (from what I can tell, and in looking at the forum, it does seem to be the case.
For a Lovecraft fan, you definitely still get a full game experience, and so it is worth a look, but I do think it would be better had on sale, especially considering that the promise of the game is only about half filled.
I should also be wrapping up Days Gone this weekend.
Jan 16 2020
Have there been awesome games you might recommend playing? Try to pick a game from the unplayed games of the challenger, which you already played in 2018 or 2019 yourself.
For Pickers. Just copy paste and complete the data :)
* [GAME#1](http://store.steampowered.com/app/GAME#1-ID/) - HLTB Time: GAME#1-HLTBTIME * [GAME#2](http://store.steampowered.com/app/GAME#2-ID/) - HLTB Time: GAME#2-HLTBTIME * [GAME#3](http://store.steampowered.com/app/GAME#3-ID/) - HLTB Time: GAME#3-HLTBTIME * [GAME#4](http://store.steampowered.com/app/GAME#4-ID/) - HLTB Time: GAME#4-HLTBTIME * [GAME#5](http://store.steampowered.com/app/GAME#5-ID/) - HLTB Time: GAME#5-HLTBTIME
- Please make sure your games are sorted by completion before applying.
- If you so desire and you have at least 5 unplayed SG wins, the 5 games can be picked out of your SG wins (instead of only 2/5). Just note it in your application comment.
- Note in your post if you're ok playing multiplayer only games.
- Same for Early Access (I know some people want to wait for release).
- When you finish one (or more) of the games picked for you, please post an update by replying to your picker's comment.
- If the game has achievements, you can link to either the Steam or Astats page corresponding to your progress.
- If the game doesn't have achievements, please post a screenshot showing your completion.
- Finally, if you have completed all the games that were assigned to you but want another go at it, feel free to post another application.
- You can pick for/challenge up to 2 fellow assassins, please refrain to pick more so everybody who wants get a chance at it.
- You can pick for anybody who has applied and hasn't been given a list yet, unless they specified otherwise (see next point). It is recommended to signal with a "reserved" comment that you're currently picking for that person. This way it'll avoid the situation where you spend time picking games just to come back to somebody's comment 2 minutes prior.
- Please use the following criteria when picking a list for somebody.
- Pick exactly 5 games
- Length-wise: at least 2 short games (under 10h to beat) and 2 medium (under 15-20h). You can use HLTB to check the time, or more conveniently the Enhanced Steam browser extension (it shows the HLTB time directly on the game's steam page). That rule can be overridden by the bottom (i.e. pick 5 short games) but not the other way around, as not everybody has the same time to dedicate to gaming.
- Pick two SG wins unless the person specified SG wins only, in which case pick only in the applicant's SG wins list.
- Quality-wise: at least 3 of the 5 games should have a positive (or above) rating. You can use this site to quickly sort games in a user's library by ratings (thanks to JaffaCaffa for the suggestion).
- Please, respect the applicant's choice regarding multiplayer-only and Early access games, as well as other requests (exclusion of certain genre etc.).
- Please use the code below to post your comment, it's already formatted, you just have to copy/paste & complete the data.
Do I have to participate in this event?
No, this is an event to help you reduce your backlog. If you already have a plan and don't want anyone to pick games for you, you're free to ignore it.
What happens if I don’t participate in the event?
What happens if I play all the games picked for me this month?
Still nothing. (You might get a shiny profile badge at some later date. And you can come back for another batch.)
What if I don’t have time to play 5 games?
Don’t worry, one is enough, we’re just asking the pickers to select 5 to give the player a little choice.
One of the game picked for me won’t run on my computer for X or Y reason, what do I do?
If this happens, please notify the picker by replying his comment and ask them to pick a replacement. If the original picker don’t give you an answer within 24h, don’t panic, just leave a comment and we’ll pick one for you. Meanwhile, you could try one of the other picked games if you haven't played them all yet.
I played all 5 games that were picked for me and I want more!
If you have completed all 5 games and reported your completion to the original comment, you can make a new request for another list.
When picking for other people, can I only pick “never played” games?
Not necessarily, you can also pick games that seem to have been abandoned but haven’t been categorized as “won’t play”. No beaten or completed games, or games being currently played obviously.
Why are there so many rules for picking the games? I can’t be bothered!
We’re trying to make this enjoyable for everyone so if you decide to pick games for others, please read and follow the rules. I’ve tried to make it as easy as possible for the pickers too, but if it’s bothering you too much, remember you don’t need to pick games for others to join the challenge.
I’m new here, can I join the challenge?
Yes of course (and welcome to BLAEO). Please just be sure to have your games sorted by progress before signing up for the challenge, to make it easier for your picker.