Anti-Backlogging Strategy 2.0 Daerphen’s profile
It’s about time to get rid of all my backlogged games… Ok I will be serious, I will try to get rid of some of them. So here is how I will try to manage that.
Report #260: Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel
Finally this comes to an end
Perfect month to finalize this game. We played it with 2-player coop. Prepurchased it, but almost instantly regretted it after the first playthrough.
The season pass was at that time unexpectedly expensive. Basicly we would have payed more for the season pass than new players for game + season pass. Result: We waited until 2019 to buy the expansion. So after more than 5 years, we finally played with DLC characters the main story twice and reached Level 50 with the return of the final mission. Afterwards a couple of hours for remaining grinding achievements and now the game is deinstalled again.
The game itself is not that awesome. I liked BL1 + BL2 much more. And it still played like on of the DLCs for BL2.
Report #259: Dishonored®: Death of the Outsider™
Cool extra game
So here comes again a very cool sneaking game of the Dishonored franchise. I already played Dishonored 1 and have collected all achievements in Dishonored 2.
It is nice to play from a different view on the story. The character is very good and the super powers feels fitting in the genre. I played on hard and reached the end game without getting detected (well technically I got detected like 150 times, but reload does not count :P)
Original Game+ is also a cool feature. Basically it is a New Game+, but you do not keep any upgrades. But you play the same game, but with the super powers of the first game. This makes it sometimes different to get the mission goal done.
Very very cool game, if you are into sneaking then this is absolutely for you. You can even get your mission done by killing spree, although I think it is not that fun
Report #258: Nephise Begins
This is currently free on Steam (until April 1st, guess around afternoon european time).
I have Nephise on my wishlist and this gave me the opportunity to already have a look at the game lore in advance. It is a very short prequel game. It explains a bit why you have to collect orbs in the main game. Haven't played it myself, so I cannot tell you more about it.
The game can be completed in a couple of minutes. Takes a few more minutes to get all collectibles
Report #257: The Pedestrian
Wow, this is yet another gem. If you haven't heard of the game yet, please download the Demo and try yourself. The demo really hooked me up and I bought the game for 25% off.
You play a stick figure on a sign. Doors and ladders can lead to other signs, but there is a catch. You need to gather items, find the correct order of doors, link them, etc. And the ending was really astonishing.
And now go, play the demo!
Beat The Game
Return NULL - Episode 1
Bridge Constructor Stunts
The Beginner's Guide
Home is Where One Starts...
Epistory - Typing Chronicles
Report #256: Batch mode activated
Faster done than report written
And done with Batch #24
I think this is been the first time, where I make a report for a complete batch of 10 games instead of indidual reports. Also due to the short titles in this batch.
Beat The Game: Cool mini game. You play as an alien on an alien planet on the search for sounds. After collecting all, you give a concert. More levels are "to be continued...".
Return NULL - Episode One: Short visual story. It has a small portion of point&click and it has a complete audio synchronization.
Bridge Constructor Stunts: There are not "story" achievements. All are based on collecting enough of the bolts and stars. You reach them by building a ramp to jump across the gabs. I had a hard time with the last achievements. For example getting enough flips and air time. Actually implemented myself a small tool to press mouse key and enter key with a specific amount of time. Had to run it like 1.5 extra hours
Samorost 2: Short explorative point&click. Puzzles are very easy, story is cool.
Prey: I do not know the original game, but this was kind of fun. Well, I am bad at this kind of game, where you need to survive with a minimum of inventory space and limited ammo. Played it on easiest diffulty. I still need to play the DLC, probably will do that later
The Beginner's Guide: From the creator of the Stanley Parable. It was fun. You learn the evolution of a game designers mind.
Bermuda: Nice visual story. Gladly this had voice overs. Doesn't take too long, but story is good.
Home is Where One Starts...: Nice walking simulator. The area is not too big. I had to replay it twice to get all collectibles
The Deer: Very short game, it explains a couple of things for children
Epistory - Typing Chronicles: I think my favourite game in the last months and also in this batch. This game is very beautiful, but be aware, that typing gets hard with progressing in the story. And you need a long breath to get all achievements.
Let's get ready for a new round of Challenge Me!
For Pickers. Just copy paste and complete the data :)
* [GAME#1](http://store.steampowered.com/app/GAME#1-ID/) - HLTB Time: GAME#1-HLTBTIME * [GAME#2](http://store.steampowered.com/app/GAME#2-ID/) - HLTB Time: GAME#2-HLTBTIME * [GAME#3](http://store.steampowered.com/app/GAME#3-ID/) - HLTB Time: GAME#3-HLTBTIME * [GAME#4](http://store.steampowered.com/app/GAME#4-ID/) - HLTB Time: GAME#4-HLTBTIME * [GAME#5](http://store.steampowered.com/app/GAME#5-ID/) - HLTB Time: GAME#5-HLTBTIME
- Please make sure your games are sorted by completion before applying.
- If you so desire and you have at least 5 unplayed SG wins, the 5 games can be picked out of your SG wins (instead of only 2/5). Just note it in your application comment.
- Note in your post if you're ok playing multiplayer only games.
- Same for Early Access (I know some people want to wait for release).
- When you finish one (or more) of the games picked for you, please post an update by replying to your picker's comment.
- If the game has achievements, you can link to either the Steam or Astats page corresponding to your progress.
- If the game doesn't have achievements, please post a screenshot showing your completion.
- Finally, if you have completed all the games that were assigned to you but want another go at it, feel free to post another application.
- You can pick for/challenge up to 2 fellow assassins, please refrain to pick more so everybody who wants get a chance at it.
- You can pick for anybody who has applied and hasn't been given a list yet, unless they specified otherwise (see next point). It is recommended to signal with a "reserved" comment that you're currently picking for that person. This way it'll avoid the situation where you spend time picking games just to come back to somebody's comment 2 minutes prior.
- Please use the following criteria when picking a list for somebody.
- Pick exactly 5 games
- Length-wise: at least 2 short games (under 10h to beat) and 2 medium (under 15-20h). You can use HLTB to check the time, or more conveniently the Enhanced Steam browser extension (it shows the HLTB time directly on the game's steam page). That rule can be overridden by the bottom (i.e. pick 5 short games) but not the other way around, as not everybody has the same time to dedicate to gaming.
- Pick two SG wins unless the person specified SG wins only, in which case pick only in the applicant's SG wins list.
- Quality-wise: at least 3 of the 5 games should have a positive (or above) rating. You can use this site to quickly sort games in a user's library by ratings (thanks to JaffaCaffa for the suggestion).
- Please, respect the applicant's choice regarding multiplayer-only and Early access games, as well as other requests (exclusion of certain genre etc.).
- Please use the code below to post your comment, it's already formatted, you just have to copy/paste & complete the data.
Do I have to participate in this event?
No, this is an event to help you reduce your backlog. If you already have a plan and don't want anyone to pick games for you, you're free to ignore it.
What happens if I don’t participate in the event?
What happens if I play all the games picked for me this month?
Still nothing. (You might get a shiny profile badge at some later date. And you can come back for another batch.)
What if I don’t have time to play 5 games?
Don’t worry, one is enough, we’re just asking the pickers to select 5 to give the player a little choice.
One of the game picked for me won’t run on my computer for X or Y reason, what do I do?
If this happens, please notify the picker by replying his comment and ask them to pick a replacement. If the original picker don’t give you an answer within 24h, don’t panic, just leave a comment and we’ll pick one for you. Meanwhile, you could try one of the other picked games if you haven't played them all yet.
I played all 5 games that were picked for me and I want more!
If you have completed all 5 games and reported your completion to the original comment, you can make a new request for another list.
When picking for other people, can I only pick “never played” games?
Not necessarily, you can also pick games that seem to have been abandoned but haven’t been categorized as “won’t play”. No beaten or completed games, or games being currently played obviously.
Why are there so many rules for picking the games? I can’t be bothered!
We’re trying to make this enjoyable for everyone so if you decide to pick games for others, please read and follow the rules. I’ve tried to make it as easy as possible for the pickers too, but if it’s bothering you too much, remember you don’t need to pick games for others to join the challenge.
I’m new here, can I join the challenge?
Yes of course (and welcome to BLAEO). Please just be sure to have your games sorted by progress before signing up for the challenge, to make it easier for your picker.
Report #255: Quick kills
Finishing a few small games
I opened this weekend my list of very short games (beatable within 2 hours) and decided to finish some of them. Nice to see some more faster progress, after playing so long games.
Adventure Lib is a very weird game. You can replay the story over and over again, it is not that long. But all items and characters can be replaced by random things. With that randomness the story gets really weird.
Back to Bed is a cool puzzle game. You need to direct your sleep walking self to bed. There is a speedrun achievement, but even without trying to hard, I got the 30 levels done in 32/45min. There are nightmare levels as well, basically the same levels as the normal, but the door to your bed is locked and you need to pick 1-3 keys to finish.
Clock simulator. Well, .... Don't take this too serious. I played it for a couple of minutes and then decided to implement myself a small auto-clicker for the rest of achievements. Fun Fact: The second is not exactly 1000ms in this game. Depends a bit of your CPU
Tiny Echo is a cool walking sim. There are a lot of nice drawn scenes.
Evo Explores is also a nice puzzle game. I think I played this already on mobile. Puzzles are solved by using optical illusions.
And done with Batch #23
Report #254: Puzzle Agent
Solve puzzles for a living
Just played this short puzzle game. There are parts very similar to a point&click game, but there is not much to do. Talk with everybody and have a look for puzzles. I think it has been something around 20 or 30 puzzles. After I beat the game, I forgot to have a look at the statistics.
Puzzles range from sorting parts of a jigsaw together, over math problems or finding someone based on some sentences.
Runs perfectly fine on Linux
Report #253: HITMAN™ 2
Silent (backlog) assassin
Wow, I really did it. 123 hours long was my complete playtime of Hitman 2 to get all the achievements. Really enjoyed the game, but now I am kind of glad that it is finally over. I got the game quite a while ago, actually I bought it before the release, but at the time it released I think I didn't want to play it. No idea exactly why. Well, after a couple of sales I picked up the season pass and finally bought all the remaining additional content upgrades.
As the game imports the DLCs also from Hitman 1, I got quite a nice collection of missions/maps to complete. I started playing the Hitman 1 maps first. As I already have all the achievements there in Hitman 1, it was a bit faster to complete, but it felt like a chore after a while. But still I managed to get everything done. After that I jumped at the content of Hitman 2, which brought a few more really cool maps and different approaches to the game.
After this experience, I can recommend to every play, who wants to get 100% achievements here: Play every map at least once, you will get nice upgrades like the lockpick in the Hitman 2 missions with your first playthrough. I didn't knew that and had to get everything done in Hitman 1 without a lockpick.
The 3 sniper maps are a good alternative to the sneaking around and fetching disguises. Though I didn't like the MP requirement for 3 achievements here. But luckily there were a couple of online players for the match making. Took around an hour or so to get those achievements as well.
I like how they changed the Engine. The UI is much more clearer, and you cannot carry the sniper around. Not even as soldier or police man.
Now I will take a break with sneaking games for a couple of weeks. Guess I want to play something faster now ;)
Report #252: Observer
Casual day in Krakow
Just finished my second PoP pick for the cycle. It is a psychological horror game and plays in a future version of Krakow. You play a detective, who is in a house during a lockdown, trying to figure out, what is going on.
After a couple of scenes, it gets very weird, not every scene I was sure, if it was a dream or the "real life" of the protagonist. The developers made a very good job here.
The story itself is not very long, but has a lot of sidetrack paths to discover
- Batch (#25) - Work in Progress 4
- Next to play 9
- #Sale - Winter Sale / Presents 2017 17
- #Sale - Summer Sale 2018 14
- #Sale - Winter Sale / Presents 2018 16
- #Sale - Summer Sale / Presents 2019 16
- #Sale - Winter Sale / Presents 2019 45
- Revisiting 8
- Coop Games 15
- Dead games 2
- Multiplayer 7
- Play or Pay 289
- Telltale TODO 5
- Windows mandatory 2