Anti-Backlogging Strategy 2.0 Daerphen’s profile
It’s about time to get rid of all my backlogged games… Ok I will be serious, I will try to get rid of some of them. So here is how I will try to manage that.
To help your fellow assassins with the currently monthly theme I would like to ask you to pick at least one game related to the current theme. For example a game playing on sea or has the pirate tag.
If you have issues, please post on the first comment or contact another admin/mod.
For Pickers. Just copy paste and complete the data :)
* [GAME#1](http://store.steampowered.com/app/GAME#1-ID/) - HLTB Time: GAME#1-HLTBTIME * [GAME#2](http://store.steampowered.com/app/GAME#2-ID/) - HLTB Time: GAME#2-HLTBTIME * [GAME#3](http://store.steampowered.com/app/GAME#3-ID/) - HLTB Time: GAME#3-HLTBTIME * [GAME#4](http://store.steampowered.com/app/GAME#4-ID/) - HLTB Time: GAME#4-HLTBTIME * [GAME#5](http://store.steampowered.com/app/GAME#5-ID/) - HLTB Time: GAME#5-HLTBTIME
- Please make sure your games are sorted by completion before applying.
- If you so desire and you have at least 5 unplayed SG wins, the 5 games can be picked out of your SG wins (instead of only 2/5). Just note it in your application comment.
- Note in your post if you're ok playing multiplayer only games.
- Same for Early Access (I know some people want to wait for release).
- When you finish one (or more) of the games picked for you, please post an update by replying to your picker's comment.
- If the game has achievements, you can link to either the Steam or Astats page corresponding to your progress.
- If the game doesn't have achievements, please post a screenshot showing your completion.
- Finally, if you have completed all the games that were assigned to you but want another go at it, feel free to post another application.
- You can pick for/challenge up to 2 fellow assassins, please refrain to pick more so everybody who wants get a chance at it.
- You can pick for anybody who has applied and hasn't been given a list yet, unless they specified otherwise (see next point). It is recommended to signal with a "reserved" comment that you're currently picking for that person. This way it'll avoid the situation where you spend time picking games just to come back to somebody's comment 2 minutes prior.
- Please use the following criteria when picking a list for somebody.
- Pick exactly 5 games
- Length-wise: at least 2 short games (under 10h to beat) and 2 medium (under 15-20h). You can use HLTB to check the time, or more conveniently the Enhanced Steam browser extension (it shows the HLTB time directly on the game's steam page). That rule can be overridden by the bottom (i.e. pick 5 short games) but not the other way around, as not everybody has the same time to dedicate to gaming.
- Pick two SG wins unless the person specified SG wins only, in which case pick only in the applicant's SG wins list.
- Quality-wise: at least 3 of the 5 games should have a positive (or above) rating. You can use this site to quickly sort games in a user's library by ratings (thanks to JaffaCaffa for the suggestion).
- Please, respect the applicant's choice regarding multiplayer-only and Early access games, as well as other requests (exclusion of certain genre etc.).
- Please use the code below to post your comment, it's already formatted, you just have to copy/paste & complete the data.
Do I have to participate in this event?
No, this is an event to help you reduce your backlog. If you already have a plan and don't want anyone to pick games for you, you're free to ignore it.
What happens if I don’t participate in the event?
What happens if I play all the games picked for me this month?
Still nothing. (You might get a shiny profile badge at some later date. And you can come back for another batch.)
What if I don’t have time to play 5 games?
Don’t worry, one is enough, we’re just asking the pickers to select 5 to give the player a little choice.
One of the game picked for me won’t run on my computer for X or Y reason, what do I do?
If this happens, please notify the picker by replying his comment and ask them to pick a replacement. If the original picker don’t give you an answer within 24h, don’t panic, just leave a comment and we’ll pick one for you. Meanwhile, you could try one of the other picked games if you haven't played them all yet.
I played all 5 games that were picked for me and I want more!
If you have completed all 5 games and reported your completion to the original comment, you can make a new request for another list.
When picking for other people, can I only pick “never played” games?
Not necessarily, you can also pick games that seem to have been abandoned but haven’t been categorized as “won’t play”. No beaten or completed games, or games being currently played obviously.
Why are there so many rules for picking the games? I can’t be bothered!
We’re trying to make this enjoyable for everyone so if you decide to pick games for others, please read and follow the rules. I’ve tried to make it as easy as possible for the pickers too, but if it’s bothering you too much, remember you don’t need to pick games for others to join the challenge.
I’m new here, can I join the challenge?
Yes of course (and welcome to BLAEO). Please just be sure to have your games sorted by progress before signing up for the challenge, to make it easier for your picker.
Report #238: The Long Dark
Survival of the fittest
Finished Episode One and Two of the story mode. Was really nice. The story is very cool written, I liked it. Survival elements are good as well. I also liked how the graphics look like.
Now I have to wait until the remaining three episodes are released. I guess this could take a while.
This is the last game for Batch #20
Report #237: BADLAND: Game of the Year Edition
Here comes the pain.
Finished a more difficult game than the ones. I already played this game a few years ago on mobile. Right now there are 100 story levels with an additional set of levels and also fan made content (level editor). I stopped playing after those 100 levels and 10 user levels. Enough frustration about failing at certain points.
Not even gonna try to get all achievements. You need to finish every level with one try each and play all in (split-screen) coop.
Report #236: Half-Life 2: Episode One
Another perfect game
New month means new PoP games to play. First one is Half-Life 2 - Episode One. This one plays right after Half-Life 2. Very nice, but very short game.
It was relatively easy to get all achievements. There are a couple of missable achievements, but with a guide it was manageable.
Report #235: Machinarium
Nicely made point&click
Another point&click done. What a coincidence though, as this game is from the same developer as Botanicula, which I played right before this.
I picked it, because I bought it in 2017 winter sale and it was about time to finally play it. Runs good with latest Proton, although I had to restart the game a couple of times, because the mouse is trapped in some kind of slow-motion laggy situation. But it was manageable.
Gameplay is nice, you play a robot, you can grow or shrink in size like an accordeon. And you need to escape the Machinarium and save the girl.
Report #234: Botanicula
Artistic indie game
Finished another point&click game. This one is more of the abstract, artistic game. You play a group of plant/seed/creatures. Not really sure, how to categorize them. You need to save the lovely tree from spider intruders
If you are into achievement hunting, I recommend playing it without guide, but to make a save at every level start. If you click on almost everything, you will get most of the achievements anyway. I had to replay Level 1 and 3 to get the remaining 7 achievements.
Report #233: The Book of Unwritten Tales 2
After finishing recently the Critters Chronicles I now have finished the sequel to The Book of Unwritten Tales. I already like the first game, the second game is a big improvement.
The humor is excellent. A lot of fun jokes, puns on other games or movies. I liked the switching between different characters in different scenes/timelines. Sometimes they cross, sometimes they don't.
Heavily recommended for every Point&Click fan. I used an achievement guide to not miss non-story achievements.
Report #232: 12 Labours of Hercules III: Girl Power
Part 3 is almost exactly like 1 and 2
Nothing special about this game. If you played one of the games, you pretty much have seen most of this game as well. Which doesn't mean anything bad. 40 Levels plus 5 bonus levels. There is one bug in the achievements. Instead of beating 10 developer records you just need 5 to get all achievements.
Report #231: Kentucky Route Zero
Unfinished game beaten.
I just "finished" Kentucky Route Zero. Not sure though, if I can really mark it as beaten, because technically I am missing the last act to play.
The game was released in 2013 and slowly releasing the chapters. Rumors are telling, that the last act might release 2019 for real. We'll see
The parts you can play are really cool. A lot to read and a lot to decide. Worth playing
Report #230: Algotica Iterations and Gunpowder
Two games where brain is necessary
Few days after finishing my Batch #19 I already finished two games.
Algotica is a very small game, took me right around an hour and is all about solving a problem systematically. With a very small set of instructions, similar to Assembler. You need to guide a robot to the final button. You can move him forward/backward, turn left and right, jump or activate a switch. All in all nicely done. It just lacks content. But that is not a big problem, during sale it is right around 1€ to purchase
Gunpowder took a little bit more effort. Originally a tablet/mobile game. Your goal is to blow up the safe with the money. All you have are some Kegs, Gunpowder and sometimes additional objects like stones, hay stacks, camp fire, TNT, ...
I had fun with it, the levels are not too complicated and it is easy to get remaining achievements after finishing it. Linux user be aware. Level 2-20 is bugged and you cannot 100% it without that level. Heck, you cannot even skip it, because before you have the skip button, the game crashes. I installed the wine/steamplay edition, copied the savegames to the correct location and finished it with the emulation. Worked perfectly fine.