Anti-Backlogging Strategy 2.0 Daerphen’s profile
It’s about time to get rid of all my backlogged games… Ok I will be serious, I will try to get rid of some of them. So here is how I will try to manage that.
Report #366: aMAZE Gears
Finally this game has come to an end. Started playing this in 2021 as those labyrinth games seems to look interesting. But this one was a bit different. It added stress to the gameplay of just finding an exit.
In this one you start on the edge of the screen and have to reach the center. But it is not only to find the way, but you have to avoid sawblades running on the walls in a specific pattern and have to find gears to unlock the exit in the center. And if that is not enough, you just have a limited time and at the end this is very tough.
At the end, very glad to have this striked through from the list of unfinished games.
If you wonder, what do you mean with Bingo progress, please read the first post
Finished the first game and found 3 tiles to fill.
- A2: Achievements
- E3: First abandoned but then finished
- E5: Release before 2020
The Bingo Challenge
A new year has started and the last years always I picked up an idea from you and tried to challenge myself. This year I decided to go with an own idea.
So I sat down and tried to find 25 things that classifies somehow video games (on steam). Chose to put some steam specifics in there because it is my main gaming platform. Afterwards those were put into a generator to randomize where they are added on the 5x5 grid.
No idea how long it will take me to finish it. Hopefully until the end of 2023. If not also not a big issue, can continue next year :D
- Game has to be beaten or completed to count
- Game can have playtime already
- One game can only be used for up to three tiles
- Once tile is selected it cannot be exchanged
Games in progress or used
- A1: Trading cards - Self explanantory. Awarded if the game has trading cards
- A2: Achievements - Awarded if the game has achievements and I got at least one of them
- A3: Low rating - Steam reviews with either “recent” or “all reviews” score lower than 50% positive
- A4: Companion - Allows the player to have a more or less fixed companion. Does not include games where someone joins you for a few missions
- A5: Checkpoint saves - Game takes over saving and you can only reload from last checkpoint
- B1: DLCs - There is possibility to purchase DLCs for the game. Does not include free DLCs
- B2: Free 2 Play - Game is for free on steam (not including free weekends)
- B3: Steam launcher - There is a small steam launcher at the start. For example to switch between OpenGL and DirectX or different game modes
- B4: First person - Game is mainly played first person. If you can chose your style, my main picked style counts
- B5: Vehicles/Mounts - Game allows to ride horses, drive cards, etc.
- C1: 2+ Playthroughs - At least two playthroughs are done. Game has to be played until the ending of two playthroughs
- C2: Manual save - You have to do manual saves (Savegame or Quick Save)
- C3: Got for free - Either got as a gift or giveaway. Also games to keep forever after activation of free weekend
- C4: No steam cloud savegame - Savegame is not uploaded to the cloud. Only stored locally
- C5: Third person - Game is mainly played third person. If you can chose your style, my main picked style counts
- D1: Minigames - There is at least one minigame added. Either from main menu or found in the game
- D2: High rating - Steam reviews with either “recent” or “all reviews” score more than 50% positive
- D3: Game crash - At least once the game crashed to desktop
- D4: Supported by 2+ OS: Game has support labeled on the store page for at least 2 different OS. Does not include Steam Deck support
- D5: Credits - There are credits available either at the end of the story or selectable from main menu
- E1: Additional launcher required: Even if it is a steam game, another launcher is started from which the game launches. For example uPlay or Origin
- E2: Soundtrack - Soundtrack available for the game
- E3: First abandoned but then finished - Game was played before, but never finished. Played again and finally reached the end
- E4: Has Multiplayer - Game has a multiplayer or coop mode. No need to actually play that mode
- E5: Release before 2020 - The store page has a release date prior 2020
Template for your grid
If you want also to create your own grid, you could use the following grid template. Just type in your categories or reuse one of mine.
() | A | B | C | D | E :-------------: | :-------------: | :-------------: | :-------------: | :-------------: | :-------------: 1 | | | | | 2 | | | | | 3 | | | | | 4 | | | | | 5 | | | | |
Report #365: Sam & Max Hit the Road
Sometimes you should remember how everything started. For example how point&click games worked years ago. Okay I need to correct myself, last century.
Played a couple of Sam & Max games last years and picked this game from 1993 last year in a sale. Controls are so weird like only a very few of them are context aware. Still a nice game and some typical genre specific item combinations.
Report #364: Carto
What a nice gem. Came at some point via the Humble Choice and saw it in the January theme. Installed and liked it. Took a while to get into the mind of the mapper theme. If you know Settlers of Catan you might know the principal of creating a map. Squares put together only on edges, where the structure is the same (paths, different type of floors, water, etc). And surrounded by a nice story.
Report #363: Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun - Aiko's Choice
Spin-off done right
Really cool spin-off of he original game Shadow Tactics - Blade of the Shogun. The characters of the original game just get into another adventure around a story of Aiko, one of the characters. Gameplay is pretty much the same, all happening in real-time, but you can arange a set of actions of the characters to sync their actions. After a while you can even get used to the shortcuts and do some individual syncing.
Each level has a range of badges, different ways to play through the levels. Gives a cool alternation and make the level a bit more replayable.
Had a lot of fun getting all the achievements.
Report #362: American Truck Simulator
Another DLC released and finished. It is common for the SCS games that there are seasonable events, like delivering gifts. Also there was the DLC release event to bring deliveries to Texas. They made some really nice changes in the last big patch. Finally you can search not only by cargo name but also by company and city.
Report #361: Human: Fall Flat
Well, this has been in a lot of reports already. Reason for this is he ever coming in flow of new small levels with achievements. We missed to play through the last 2 extra dreams and finished them recently. Nice new puzzles and themes. Looking forward to the next one.
Report #360: F1® 22
Had the game on my wishlist, also F1 2021. Waiting for a very good price or even part of the HB Choice. Never happened but then F1 22 was in a free weekend and I tried it. Was good enough for me to then buy it with 50% discount.
Achievements are much easier compared to the 2020 edition, but still a lot of grind required. Public lobby are like a battlefield. Constantly someone wants to kill you by ramming you. And network connection is horrible, very often connection was lost and an online race was canceled.
Report #359: Gothic Playable Teaser
And here we go, just another replay of an almost forgotten game. A few months ago the developers finally removed 4 broken achievements. Time to get the remaining working achievements. You can read my initial Report #249. Back then I was very hyped about the game. Replaying did not extend the hype. Still interested in a full version of the game, but it does not really matter how fast it will arrive. The teaser is okay. A tons of glitches but yeah its still a demo, so no hard feelings.
Report #358: Collisions
Finally put an end to this game. Started playing it a long time ago. They added a couple of free content updates which also included achievements. Replayed a couple of the levels and also played the pinball game. A bit weird seeing this mini game in the base game, because I hate when games add completely different genres as standalone extra games. Anyway, after a while I got the hang of it and finished 5 pinball games in a row.
The end of Batch #35
- Batch (#36) - work in progress 8
- #Sale - Winter Sale 2017 17
- #Sale - Summer Sale 2018 14
- #Sale - Winter Sale 2018 16
- #Sale - Summer Sale 2019 16
- #Sale - Winter Sale 2019 45
- #Sale - Summer Sale 2020 15
- #Sale - Winter Sale 2020 30
- #Sale - Winter Sale 2021 25
- #Sale - Winter Sale 2022 4
- Revisiting 8
- Coop Games 20
- 20/22 Challenge 22
- Bingo Challenge 4
- Dead games 2
- Multiplayer 7
- To be played 279
- HumbleBundle - Monthly/Choice 660