Anti-Backlogging Strategy 2.0 Daerphen’s profile
It’s about time to get rid of all my backlogged games… Ok I will be serious, I will try to get rid of some of them. So here is how I will try to manage that.
Report #222: Sam & Max: Season Two
Finally got around to play season 2
Took me a while to finally play season 2 of this nice point&click game. Can't really remember, when I played season 1. But must have been before joining BLAEO.
The game comes as 5 episodes, each with their own installer. Which is a bit of the downside, because steam only reports the first episode via API and not the overall gametime. Also you have to go through the settings wizard for every episode. A bit annoying.
I liked it, recommended for point&click fans
For Pickers. Just copy paste and complete the data :)
* [GAME#1](http://store.steampowered.com/app/GAME#1-ID/) - HLTB Time: GAME#1-HLTBTIME * [GAME#2](http://store.steampowered.com/app/GAME#2-ID/) - HLTB Time: GAME#2-HLTBTIME * [GAME#3](http://store.steampowered.com/app/GAME#3-ID/) - HLTB Time: GAME#3-HLTBTIME * [GAME#4](http://store.steampowered.com/app/GAME#4-ID/) - HLTB Time: GAME#4-HLTBTIME * [GAME#5](http://store.steampowered.com/app/GAME#5-ID/) - HLTB Time: GAME#5-HLTBTIME
- Please make sure your games are sorted by completion before applying.
- If you so desire and you have at least 5 unplayed SG wins, the 5 games can be picked out of your SG wins (instead of only 2/5). Just note it in your application comment.
- Note in your post if you're ok playing multiplayer only games.
- Same for Early Access (I know some people want to wait for release).
- When you finish one (or more) of the games picked for you, please post an update by replying to your picker's comment.
- If the game has achievements, you can link to either the Steam or Astats page corresponding to your progress.
- If the game doesn't have achievements, please post a screenshot showing your completion.
- Finally, if you have completed all the games that were assigned to you but want another go at it, feel free to post another application.
- You can pick for/challenge up to 2 fellow assassins, please refrain to pick more so everybody who wants get a chance at it.
- You can pick for anybody who has applied and hasn't been given a list yet, unless they specified otherwise (see next point). It is recommended to signal with a "reserved" comment that you're currently picking for that person. This way it'll avoid the situation where you spend time picking games just to come back to somebody's comment 2 minutes prior.
- Please use the following criteria when picking a list for somebody.
- Pick exactly 5 games
- Length-wise: at least 2 short games (under 10h to beat) and 2 medium (under 15-20h). You can use HLTB to check the time, or more conveniently the Enhanced Steam browser extension (it shows the HLTB time directly on the game's steam page). That rule can be overridden by the bottom (i.e. pick 5 short games) but not the other way around, as not everybody has the same time to dedicate to gaming.
- Pick two SG wins unless the person specified SG wins only, in which case pick only in the applicant's SG wins list.
- Quality-wise: at least 3 of the 5 games should have a positive (or above) rating. You can use this site to quickly sort games in a user's library by ratings (thanks to JaffaCaffa for the suggestion).
- Please, respect the applicant's choice regarding multiplayer-only and Early access games, as well as other requests (exclusion of certain genre etc.).
- Please use the code below to post your comment, it's already formatted, you just have to copy/paste & complete the data.
Do I have to participate in this event?
No, this is an event to help you reduce your backlog. If you already have a plan and don't want anyone to pick games for you, you're free to ignore it.
What happens if I don’t participate in the event?
What happens if I play all the games picked for me this month?
Still nothing. (You might get a shiny profile badge at some later date. And you can come back for another batch.)
What if I don’t have time to play 5 games?
Don’t worry, one is enough, we’re just asking the pickers to select 5 to give the player a little choice.
One of the game picked for me won’t run on my computer for X or Y reason, what do I do?
If this happens, please notify the picker by replying his comment and ask them to pick a replacement. If the original picker don’t give you an answer within 24h, don’t panic, just leave a comment and we’ll pick one for you. Meanwhile, you could try one of the other picked games if you haven't played them all yet.
I played all 5 games that were picked for me and I want more!
If you have completed all 5 games and reported your completion to the original comment, you can make a new request for another list.
When picking for other people, can I only pick “never played” games?
Not necessarily, you can also pick games that seem to have been abandoned but haven’t been categorized as “won’t play”. No beaten or completed games, or games being currently played obviously.
Why are there so many rules for picking the games? I can’t be bothered!
We’re trying to make this enjoyable for everyone so if you decide to pick games for others, please read and follow the rules. I’ve tried to make it as easy as possible for the pickers too, but if it’s bothering you too much, remember you don’t need to pick games for others to join the challenge.
I’m new here, can I join the challenge?
Yes of course (and welcome to BLAEO). Please just be sure to have your games sorted by progress before signing up for the challenge, to make it easier for your picker.
Report #221: Half-Life 2
Now I get the hype about Half-Life 3
And there we go, finally I've played and completed the second part of the Half-Life franchise. So many times I skipped the game, but it was picked for the PoP challenge and I could not resist any longer
I used a guide, to get all hidden achievements, otherwise multiple playthroughs would have been necessary. Played on easy difficulty, wasn't interested in challenging gameplay, I wanted to experience the story.
Great game, had a lot of fun
Report #220: SOMA
Horror walking sim
Another one completed. Only three days into April and I already got 2/3 of my PoP games done.
I probably would not have started this one. Was too scared to install it several times. Turned out that it is only partial horror, the rest is more or less a walking sim with puzzles and a lot of story items to collect/interact.
Liked it. And there are no missable achievements. Makes it easier
Batch #18 done
Doing every achievements in SOMA kind of broke the pattern of Batch #18. Every second game was a perfect game, the other a non-perfect. Except for the last ;)
One of my fastest batches, if I remember correctly.
Report #219: Breached
Unexpected perfect game
This game was picked for me for the PoP Challenge in April as my short game. I had it in my library for quite some time now, even idled the cards. But never had the motivation to actual play it.
It's tagged as walking simulator, but that is not 100% true. Because you cannot walk, but only move with a drone, which technically is floating
Goal of the game is, to fix your O²-Generator and gather fuel. Otherwise you die. With the drone you explore one tutorial region and three main story regions. With every exploration you can harvest three items of different types. Depending on the type, you get parts for the generator or fuel.
From the achievements I didn't expect to get it as perfect game finished (so soon). Took me exactly 3 playthroughs.
Report #218: The Walking Dead: The Final Season
Is this the end?
This has been on my watchlist for quite some while now. After Telltale went down with a bang, I was not really sure, if the game will be finished someday. And when it did, I was scared it was done without much motivation.
Afterall Skybound took over the finishing and it worked quite well. You can tell the difference between the first episode and the remaining three. Now it would be interesting, if Skybound will continue the work on some TWD sequel. But I doubt it.
Report #217: In Between
Nice game with unfunny theme
Just finished In Between. Like the gameplay, but the theme of the game is rather unfunny. You play as a man, diagnosed with terminal cancer. The puzzles are grouped into the different stages you face emotional.
Gameplay is really cool. You can walk with your character in 2D direction, to reach the exit of every level, you can modify gravitiy to pull yourself up, down, left right. Depending on the gravity direction you can walk left/right or up/down. Different harmful mechanic give a good variety to the levels.
Not going to even try the "don't die" achievement. I probably failed 1000+ times beating all levels.
Report #216: Violett & Unium
One point&click and one puzzle
Another two games beaten. Violett was a nice point&click. Most of the puzzles are rather easy, you can solve one scene after the other
Unium is a cool puzzle game with simplistic design. For the special solutions of some levels I used a guide. But solving the levels in the first place was not too complicated (at least beginner, medium and easy levels). The advanced levels took multiple tries
Report #215: Zenge
Short & Casual
Time to complete a short game. Perfect for just about two hours (3-4 hours are idle time). You have to move pieces of a puzzle on pre-defined paths. In the very beginning it is just obvious, how to solve the puzzles. Later on you have to flip, rotate and move in the correct order
Report #214: Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden
This was a big surprise for me seeing in the Humble Bundle monthly. When I got the key I immediately installed and played it. From the description and comments I was expecting a game, very similar to XCOM. Well, that is true and false at the same time.
True, it has a similar mechanic. Playing a squad, having turn-based combat and different skills and weapons. But your squad size is much more limited and you can actually walk outside of combat. Starting the combat is almost everytime up to you, and if you are sneaky, you can even avoid or silently kill single enemies.
Definitively recommended to get it for this cheap. Had a lot of fun. Not going for the very hard difficulty achievement