Skatr's House of Horrors Skatrzoo’s profile
Skattered Fragments - #8
Top 8 on January 8th in Skattered Fragments #8? Just a coincidence of course.
When I started the 20/22 Challenge last year I mentioned that I was pretty disappointed with my top 8 of 2021 and I wanted to improve on that by finishing some of the better games in my backlog. Was that the case? I would say yes. While narrowing it down to just 8 games wasn’t particularly difficult, I do feel like I’ve had quite a lot of games that could’ve made the list in other years but didn’t really have a chance this year, as you might see in the honorable mentions at the end of the post. As is the case every year, the main criteria is that I must have finished the game in the past year. Without further ado, my top 8 of 2022:
Honorable Mentions (in no particular order):
planetarian ~the reverie of a little planet~
Resident Evil Village
Tales of Arise
Persona 5 Royal
Sands of Salzaar
As you might be able to tell, I’ve played a lot of games that could’ve easily made the top 8 in any other year. I imagine you’d be pretty baffled if you saw what didn’t even make the honorable mentions, let alone the actual top (2022 beaten games, in case you’re curious). Anyway, 3 posts within 8-ish days or so is about 2 posts too many, so I guess I’ll see you around in like 2025 or something.
Something something borrowed from Sheep
Last year I started and completed the 20/22 Challenge. This time around I’ll be joining Sheep’s version of it 👀 I will be changing a couple of things to suit my 2023 goals, but the general idea is the same.
- I have to finish at least 20/23 games on the list.
- Majority of the games must be untouched ones from before 2023. I will, however, allow myself up to 3 games that I may acquire this year. (Length does not matter this time around, but most of my backlog is full of rather lengthy games regardless)
- At least 10 of them must be VNs. I’m fairly close to completing my reading backlog so that will be my main focus this year.
- I can swap games at will as long as they fit with the second point on this list, but I think the current picks are mostly fine.
- Naturally, I only have this year to finish the challenge. However, I will not be adding a penalty this time around as I didn’t feel like it added anything of value to the challenge last year.
All in all, I do believe this challenge should be much easier due to, well, having pretty much my entire backlog at my disposal instead of good games I started and ditched like the previous one so I’m hoping to complete the full list this year as well, not just the mandatory 20. Since one of my 2023 goals is to limit the amount of games I buy, this challenge will likely be my priority for a while.
List + table below with playtime and progress status.
- MONSTER HUNTER RISE
- God of War
- Tokyo Necro
|18h||ABYSS OF THE SACRIFICE||Completed|
|30h||AI: THE SOMNIUM FILES - nirvanA Initiative||Completed|
|32h||Aokana - Four Rhythms Across the Blue||Completed|
|20h||Batman: Arkham City GOTY||Beaten|
|20h||Death's Gambit: Afterlife||Beaten|
|35h||Final Fantasy XIII-2||Beaten|
|31h||God of War||Beaten|
|7h||Hell Yeah! Wrath of the Dead Rabbit||Completed|
|28h||If My Heart Had Wings||Completed|
|13h||If My Heart Had Wings -Flight Diary-||Completed|
|100h+||MONSTER HUNTER RISE||Beaten|
|16h||Please Be Happy||Completed|
|40h||Root Double -Before Crime * After Days- Xtend Edition||Completed|
|17h||Shadows Over Loathing||Beaten|
|20h||The Princess, the Stray Cat, and Matters of the Heart 2||Completed|
|13h||Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus||Beaten|
|33h||Wonderful Everyday Down the Rabbit-Hole||Completed|
Skattered Fragments - #7
The end of my 20/22 challenge and some random rambling
When the year started, I made the 20/22 Challenge to motivate myself to actually finish some of the better games in my backlog that I played for a while and then got distracted. I have, in fact, succeeded in this challenge and yet I’m kinda… disappointed?
Don’t get me wrong, in terms of gaming, 2022 was probably the best year I’ve had in forever. I’ve beaten a bunch of extremely good games but at the same time, I also haven’t played them as much as I would’ve liked. Some quick examples would be not doing all the postgame stuff in Monster Hunter Stories 2, barely touching the ng+4 true end game (underworld) in Nioh 2, only doing one playthrough of DMC5 (no vergil dlc or higher difficulties), completing only my first playthrough of Elden Ring and so on.
At the same time, I’ve also been burnt out on gaming towards the end of the year due to powering through some of the longest games I’ve played on steam (4 games at 100h+ and one at 92h on my 20/22 list alone, plus other stuff). I’ve also beaten (or tied) against my backlog in every month of the year (a complaint about that later too) as you can see in the monthly breakdown below:
Boring stats section - Beaten-Added:
Overall: 74-49 (A pretty overwhelming victory compared to previous years, I would say)
So… what’s next then?
My goals for next year are actually pretty straightforward:
- Stop. Caring. About. Stats. This year I focused too much on trying to avoid losing against my backlog, especially towards the end of the year. While I succeeded, I don’t need gaming to feel like a job. It would also be far more difficult to achieve a good ratio from now on considering I mostly have long games left in my backlog.
- Buy 12 games (or fewer!). This is actually tied to the first point a bit. I have quite a few bundle keys I never activated to avoid screwing my stats (from the 49 new games in my account, only 25 were actually bought in 2022 - others were either old keys, giveaways or gifts). Cutting that number in half while potentially activating stuff I’ve already spent money on seems pretty reasonable to me.
- Keep focusing on the good games. Again, seems pretty obvious, right? In 2022 I’ve started using the “won’t play” section of blaeo quite a bit because the reality is, I still have 5-10 years worth of good games in my backlog (not even counting games on epic, uplay, JAST), so why do I keep playing mediocre/bad short games just for stats?
While not a strict rule, I’ll also definitely be revisiting the games I mentioned that I wanted to play more of but moved on to work on the rest of my challenge. Anyway, that’s about it. I’ll be back again in a few days with my top 8 games of 2022 once I gather my thoughts as this post would’ve probably been far longer than I’d like if I combined the two. Happy new year!
Skattered Fragments - #6
Halfway into the 20/22 challenge, mostly stats
At the beginning of the year I’ve started the 20/22 Challenge which a couple of other assassins decided to tackle as well. I’m too lazy to post about it every month, naturally, but I figured I’d at least give a stat breakdown of how I’ve been doing in the challenge, as well as the general fight against the backlog. What I didn’t mention in the challenge was that I was also planning to avoid buying new videogames - that actually lasted a couple of months surprisingly, but it failed as anyone would’ve expected.
Boring stats section - Beaten-Added (Number of games from my 20/22 challenge):
January: 3-0 (2)
February: 6-0 (2)
March: 3-2 (1)
April: 4-3 (1)
May: 5-5 (1)
June: 13-9 (7)
Overall: 34-19 (14)
As you might’ve noticed, I started doing really poorly in my challenge after Elden Ring came out… until last month happened, and I somehow doubled the number of finished games from the list, now being down to having to finish only one game per month for the rest of the year to succeed. Another thing worth pointing out is that I have not lost the fight against my backlog in any month of 2022, having 5 victories and 1 tie so far.
While I’m also too lazy to write actual thoughts about the games (except Salome’s Kiss, for which I wrote a review), here’s 10 of my current favourites that I’ve played this year (Mostly out of personal curiosity of how many of these will eventually make it into my top 8 list at the end of the year). Order is mostly chronological, based on when I finished them:
Monster Hunter Stories 2: Wings of Ruin
Wolfenstein: The New Order
The Princess, the Stray Cat, and Matters of the Heart
Cyanotype Daydream -The Girl Who Dreamed the World-
AI: The Somnium Files
Flowers -Le volume sur automne-
Anyway, thanks for reading and I’ll see you again for the end of the year status update, hopefully remaining victorious over my backlog until then.
🟢 20/22 Challenge 🟠
A few days ago I mentioned that I was fairly disappointed with my list of favourite games from last year, and this is mostly due to me going back to my old habits of playing a game for a while and then getting distracted by another one and not finishing most of the long games I try out. As a result, I’ve come up with maybe my most ambitious challenge yet, focusing mostly on unfinished games from previous years because, well, let’s just say I have a lot of good ones collecting dust in there (it’ll make more sense once you actually see the list).
While both the ABC (19/26) and Tag (5/13) challenges helped a bit with my backlog, I realized that not having any strict rules to them does make me kinda just play them whenever, and would likely still take years to finish off those lists despite having (mostly) things I really wanted to play in the first place - so for the first time, this challenge will also have a penalty for failing it :)
- First thing’s first, I have to finish 20/22 games on the list.
- Majority of the games must have been started before 2022 (initially wanted to make it 20 unfinished + 2 fresh games but this seemed a bit too restricting, so I’m allowing up to 5 untouched ones) - they also have to be some of the best games I have (either that I’ve been enjoying in case of unfinished ones, or things I’m looking forward to for the new ones)
- To add on the previous point, the new games must be at least 20 hours long (either on HLTB or VNDB - I normally try to do most side-stuff in games so I’ll likely use main + extra on HLTB - regardless, I won’t count any new games unless I get 20+ hours of playtime in them). Length doesn’t matter for previously started games, although most are much longer than 20 hours anyway.
- I can replace games as I see fit, but I am of course still limited to my unfinished list for most of them. I don’t expect to replace much, but I have to keep this rule in place in case of technical issues and such (e.g I stopped playing Will of the Wisps because I had a softlock - was it fixed since I last played? No clue)
- As the name of the challenge implies, I of course only have this year to finish it - if I don’t, I will be giving away one of my top 5 games of 2022 (or maybe other games of similar value, for those that might not be interested in the original pick).
That’s about it for the rules I think, I still haven’t made my mind whether I want to include non-steam backlog in this (seeing as I have several extremely long games on other platforms that I’d like to maybe play this year, such as AC: Odyssey on uplay, Spiritfarer on EGS or Muramasa on JAST). I will reserve the first post and add them there if I do decide to mix it up a bit, but I don’t think I’ll overcomplicate things.
Honestly, I wouldn’t particularly mind if I failed this but somehow ended up with a really good year of gaming just by trying to mostly keep up with this challenge - as long as I’ll have to actually think which games will make my top 8 this year instead of whatever happened in 2021, I’d be satisfied.
The List (Not finalized, but should be mostly correct.)
(06.01.2022 Edit: Added list with playtime for future reference.)
|Hours (Before/After)||Game Title||Status|
|(61h/154h+)||Nioh 2 – The Complete Edition||Beaten|
|(24h/100h+)||Monster Hunter Stories 2: Wings of Ruin||Beaten|
|(14h/47h)||NieR Replicant ver.1.22474487139...||Beaten|
|(14h/57h)||Tales of Arise||Beaten|
|(1h/21h)||Devil May Cry 5||Beaten|
|(3h/28h)||Shadow of the Tomb Raider||Beaten|
|(8h/26h)||AI: The Somnium Files||Completed|
|(2h/10h)||Murdered: Soul Suspect||Beaten|
|(3h/14h)||Flowers -Le volume sur automne-||Completed|
|(5h/11h)||Iratus: Lord of the Dead||Beaten|
|(1h/15h)||Wolfenstein: The New Order||Beaten|
|(0h/26h)||Cyanotype Daydream -The Girl Who Dreamed the World-||Completed|
|(0h/20h)||The Princess, the Stray Cat, and Matters of the Heart||Completed|
|(0h/127h)||Library of Ruina||Beaten|
Skattered Fragments - #5
Less than a year between posts this time, progress!
Last year I posted my top 8 games of 2020 and I figured I might as well at least keep this tradition alive if I’m too lazy to actually write monthly/yearly/whatever reports. Same as last year, the only criteria to keep in mind is that I must have finished the game in 2021, hence why this list is a bit underwhelming to be honest.
All in all, while I’ve definitely played my decent share of good videogames this year, I am pretty disappointed that most of the titles on this list would be replaced by the honorary mentions down below. As a result, in the next few days I will be posting a new challenge I’ve made for myself which should hopefully end up with me having a much better top 8 for 2022, but we’ll see :)
📃 Tag Challenge #1 📃
Lengray’s Tag Challenge seemed like a decent way to trim the backlog a bit without having to find games for annoying letters (although I’m still working on the ABC plan), so I figured I might as well join in the fun. I also
yoinked borrowed the table formatting from Sheep 👀
Unlike for the ABC plan, I won’t be changing any* of the games on the list, and I’ve also made it 13 tags instead of 12 just because Nioh 2 isn’t even released yet and it’s still technically part of my backlog, but I still felt like I was cheating by adding that one here :p
*2022 update: Replaced Horizon Zero Dawn with BIOMUTANT due to technical issues.
|3D Platformer||A Hat in Time||Beaten|
|Action||Darksiders Warmastered Edition||Unplayed|
|Bullet Hell||Gensokyo Night Festival||Unplayed|
|Difficult||West of Dead||Unplayed|
|Hack and Slash||METAL GEAR RISING: REVENGEANCE||Unplayed|
|JRPG||Tales of Berseria||Beaten|
|Narration||Beyond: Two Souls||Beaten|
|Open World||Sunset Overdrive||Beaten|
|Souls-like||Nioh 2 – The Complete Edition||Beaten|
|Stealth||Styx: Shards of Darkness||Unplayed|
|Visual Novel||Nurse Love Addiction||Completed|
Skattered Fragments - #4
It’s been a while, huh?
A bit over a year since my last post and I don’t really keep tracks of my statistics so I had no reason to make an “End of 2020” report, buuuuuuuut I did wanna talk a bit about some of my favourite games from last year And I definitely wasn’t buli’d by a couple of individuals into doing this haha, and you definitely can’t see one of them in the gif above as well haha :bloboctopussweat:
Anyway, I actually wanted to make a “worst games I’ve played” list initially but with 2020 being how it was, I figured I should maybe try to focus on the more positive side of things for once. The only criteria is that I must’ve finished the game in 2020, release date is irrelevant - without further ado, my top 8 (because reasons) games of 2020:
And that’s that. I’ve made some decent progress on my ABC plan since the last time I posted (now at 16/26), but maybe we’ll talk about that in my next yearly post. For now, here’s some honorable mentions for games that would’ve likely made the list but didn’t meet the criteria for one reason or another:
Skattered Fragments - #3
The start of my ABC Plan and some other stuff
I finally got around to starting an ABC Plan of my own just to have an extra push for some of the longer games in my backlog. Naturally, I started with some of the shortest ones on the list to kickstart the progress…… ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Other games played/beaten:
I’ve decided to join in on this ABC Challenge as well. I’ve been meaning to do it for a while now but it was bugging me that I was missing several letters so I kept postponing it. For now I’m missing only “X”, so I replaced it with a numbered game I knew those math problems where I had to find x would come in handy one day.
The reason for starting this plan is that I have a bunch of really good long games that I never even started, so this will very likely take forever to complete. Of course, I didn’t have such games for every letter but yeah ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Priority of choosing was mostly as follow: Good, lengthy games -> SG wins -> Random games where I didn’t have anything better.
- All of the games must be untouched (idling from forever ago does not count, of course)
- I will be playing other games during the challenge
- I may swap a game if I acquire a better title for a certain letter (Up to a total of 10 times*, will keep that updated in a separate comment)
- No time limit, although I would like to finish this within 2-3 years at most.
- Order of the games does not matter
- Achievement completion is irrelevant, but I might take ending credits screenshots for the ones without achievements.
*The reason I would like to avoid swapping too many games is because it would go against the reasoning behind this particular plan. I only allow limited swapping due to certain letters having some not-so-great games.
That being said, I will probably start including progress for this challenge in my ‘Skattered Fragments’. Of course, the list below will be the first thing to get updated.