April’s already here, and with it a new monthly theme. This month’s gonna be a little different though, as we’re gonna have a challenge rather than a game. It’ll probably sound familiar to those who’ve been browsing the SG forums, as it’s inspired by last month’s Play your SG wins event, as well as Play or Pay events (without the Pay part if you fail), but extended to your whole backlog, not just SG wins. We added a few extra rules to mix it up a little. It seems like a few people were interested and I hope more will be inspired to join. Onto the details…
- It's gonna be pretty simple, read the rules and if you decide you wanna join, leave a comment on the application post and wait for somebody to pick games for you. Be sure to read the details in the application post, you have a few extra options when applying.
- Somebody will pick 5 games from your unplayed/abandonned games within 24 hours. Until then you can sit down and relax (or have a look at the optional task and pick games for somebody)
- Once the 5 games have been selected for you, you can pick the one(s) you wanna play this month and start playing, it's as simple as that. You really only have to play one of those, but feel free to play more than that if you have the time and willingness for it :)
- Once you're done with the game(s), please reply to your picker's comment with a link to completion proof (either a link to your achievement page for that game, either on steam or on Astats if the game has achievements, or a link to an end game screenshot if the game doesn't have achievements).
- As an optional task, you can also pick the 5 games for up to 2 people (please not more so everybody who wants can get a chance to pick). If you decide to do so, please read the specific requirements and use the formatting shared in the application post when replying to the candidate's comment, thank you in advance. We realize the rules make the game picking a bit longer so please only do it if you feel like it, everybody will have games assigned anyway, generally within 24 hours max.
- As an added "risk", you can decide to use your pickers opportunity to challenge an assassin who hasn't joined the challenge yet. In which case, the same pickers rules apply, with an extra twist. First, you're in charge of informing your challenged assassin, either via Steam or SG, however you see fit. Secondly, and most interestingly, the challenged can decide if they accept your task to challenge you back even if you already have a list assigned, in which case you'll have to complete minimum 2 (or 3 if you challenged 2 persons who both challenged you in return) games, one in each list. Use at your own risk.
Don’t forget, it’s all fun and games, and you might discover interesting games that are sitting in your backlog :)
Do I have to participate in this month’s theme?
No, as with every theme, these are merely suggestions for anyone who is unsure about what to play next. If you already have a battle plan for your backlog and/or don’t like this month’s theme, you’re free to ignore it.
What happens if I don’t participate in the monthly theme?
What happens if I play all the games
from the theme list picked for me this month?
I don’t own any of the games from the game list, how can I still participate?
Well, conveniently, this is not a possibility this month, as the “list” is picked from your own games.
What if I don’t have time to play 5 games?
Don’t worry, one is enough, we’re just asking the pickers to select 5 to give the player a little choice.
One of the game picked for me won’t run on my computer for X or Y reason, what do I do?
If this happens, please notify the picker by replying his comment and ask them to pick a replacement. If the original picker don’t give you an answer within 24h, don’t panic, just leave a comment here and we’ll pick one for you.
I played all 5 games that were picked for me and I want more!
If you have completed all 5 games and reported your completion to the original comment, you can make a new request for another list.
When picking for other people, can I only pick “never played” games?
Not necessarily, you can also pick games that seem to have been abandonned but haven’t been categorized as “won’t play”. No beaten or completed games, or games being currently played obviously.
Why are there so many rules for picking the games? I can’t be bothered!
We’re trying to make this enjoyable for everyone so if you decide to pick games for others, please read and follow the rules. I’ve tried to make it as easy as possible for the pickers too, but if it’s bothering you too much, remember you don’t need to pick games for others to join the challenge.
I’m new here, can I join the challenge?
Yes of course (and welcome to BLAEO). Please just be sure to have your games sorted by progress before signing up for the challenge, to make it easier for your picker.
Awesome, I’ll definitely be a picker but won’t be accepting any challenges :) What happens if we reject a challenge by the way?
I assume the challenger would be able to challenge someone else instead
I mainly wondered if it would negate my picks. Like I wouldn’t be able to pick games for anyone if I rejected a challenge directed at me or something. It doesn’t say anything like that anywhere but it’s just my mind creating scenarios as always. I wanted to make sure :)
No, nothing would happen, just let the person know you reject the challenge so they can use their pick on somebody else if they wish too ;)
Are you sure you don’t wanna play? You only need to complete one of the game after all (and there is no punishment if you end up completing none)
I have my own gameplan set up already so yes I am really sure :)
Nice! Will look into it tomorrow <3
Glad you like it :3
Sorry that I didn’t join after all. The month was not the best at all for me and now I will be busy to finish anything in remaining time. I really liked this month topic though :3 And I still didn’t even launch Stardew Valley for “April is play a game you won on SG month” :o
Hey, no worry at all, and no need to apologize. Everybody has their real life constraints I hope you’re ok though. Hopefully this kind of challenge will happen again in the future at a time you’ll be able to participate :3
Ugggggggggghhhhhh this is the best theme! T_T I love those challenges where people tell you what to play.
But my PC is not letting me play games right now (getting black screens) and I don’t know if it will be fixed this month…
… but black screens go better with the pink than blue screens would, right? … sorry, that was probably only funny in my head. Hope you can get it fixed soon :/
Aww sorry to read that (even though i’m glad you liked the theme). If you manage to fix your PC this month, you can still join later during the month. I’ll keep checking regularly if any late joiners need picks.
And if you can’t but you still want to do the challenge, what I can offer is pick for you with the exact same rules later when your PC is fixed, even if the month is over. Just ask.
This month im out, im playing the last remnant ( a great surprise for me ) and i have to complete shadow of mordor too in this month :(
Well indeed you have a lot on your plate. If you manage to finish your games early and you’re interested, you can still sign up for the challenge later in the month.
mentally challenged! :P
What an awesome theme!!! Yaaay! I liked it. :3
But for now, I’ll stay out of it because I’m in the mood of replaying some games (yea, I know that this doesn’t help my backlog). And after my long and fast paced games, I feel playing puzzle games (have in mind Talos, Witness and Turing Test).
But as a friend told me, in case I change my mind, I could join later :D except if someone challenge me, then I could join sooner - but I’ll try to pick games for someone else :DD
Hey, I’m glad you like the theme, it’s ok if you have other plans.
Replaying is not a bad thing if you’re having fun it’s what matters.
Picking games for others is already participating in your way :)
Amazing theme and I wish I could properly participate. That application post has absolutely exploded. :D
Glad to read you like the theme. Feel free to join, you only need to play one out of the 5 that will be picked for you. And yes, it seems like a lot of people decided to join, I’m really happy about it :)
Awesome, count me in! I’m looking into the application post now. I’ve been slacking with my backlog lately, so any extra motivation will help. :)
edit: Hmm, the ‘two SG wins’ rule is a bit tricky in my case. I’ve got only one unplayed win (Song of the Deep, I’m going to finish it for the SG April thread), and the other two unfinished wins have been postponed since both have puzzles that I’m stuck in. I don’t mind trying to finish them if the picker chooses so, but my low number of wins limits the freedom of choice for the picker somewhat, doesn’t it?
Hey, it’s no problem, obviously that rule is unnecessary for you. Maybe when you post your application comment, put a note saying exactly that (that you’ve played all your SG wins except one that is scheduled anyway), so the picker can disregard this rule for you. (and that it’s been approved by me).
I like this monthly challenge. Struggled with a lot of the other ones as I would have had to buy new games or not targeted SG wins. So thumbs up from me. Waiting with anticipation for my challenge :)
I’m glad you like this month’s challenge :D I hope you won’t be disappointed with the games that have been picked for you ;)
I love these kind of events. Could we please make this an ongoing thing aside from the monthly theme?
Can someone please pick games for me in the application post?
I went to correct that but somebody was faster than me ;) Hope you have fun, sorry for the wait.
Hurray. Was hoping to continue those challenges in that way :D
Will file in my application tomorrow :D
I’m glad you’re excited about this month’s theme :3