And here comes another round. Like every round, please consider to pick at least one game that is also a valid monthly game. Go and scare your lucky contestant a bit and pick a game which fits into the Spooktober theme.
- You are allowed to ask a specific person to pick for you, but that person can only be asked to pick for someone specific once. For example: Mandril askes me to pick for him. I do that, but later Nelly also wants me to pick for her. I cannot pick for Nelly anymore, someone else needs to do that.
- You are only allowed to pick for up to 2 members in total. So if you already picked for 2 and you are asked to pick for someone specific you have to pass and another member should pick the games. Exception: Nobody picked games for 24 hours.
The main goal of this is of course to motivate you to reduce your backlog and help you pick some games to do just that. And you can help others do the same!
If you've used the Steam group forums at all, you may have also seen a suggestion about profile badges, including participation badges for themes. We thought for this additional and hopefully regular) event, we will give out two permanent badges that basically level up the more you participate, one for finishing challenges (up to 2 per month) and one for issuing challenges/picking for others. Since badges are still quite a ways off, we'll keep an internal spreadsheet for now, so if we ever implement that, your "progress" won't be lost ;)
This round will last until November 15th
Post your application for this month’s challenge as a reply here. Please before doing so, read the corresponding section below. Also, if you decide to pick games for others, read the corresponding section before you do so. If you encounter any problem with the games that were picked for you (either technical or if you think they don’t follow the guidelines) and can’t solve it with your picker, please leave a message as a reply of the first comment.
- Please make sure your games are sorted by completion before applying.
- If you so desire and you have at least 5 unplayed SG wins, the 5 games can be picked out of your SG wins (instead of only 2/5). Just note it in your application comment.
- Note in your post if you're ok playing multiplayer only games.
- Same for Early Access (I know some people want to wait for release).
- When you finish one (or more) of the games picked for you, please post an update by replying to your picker's comment.
- If the game has achievements, you can link to either the Steam or Astats page corresponding to your progress.
- If the game doesn't have achievements, please post a screenshot showing your completion.
- Finally, if you have completed all the games that were assigned to you but want another go at it, feel free to post another application.
- You can pick for/challenge up to 2 fellow assassins, please refrain to pick more so everybody who wants get a chance at it.
- You can pick for anybody who has applied and hasn't been given a list yet, unless they specified otherwise (see next point). It is recommended to signal with a "reserved" comment that you're currently picking for that person. This way it'll avoid the situation where you spend time picking games just to come back to somebody's comment 2 minutes prior.
- Please use the following criteria when picking a list for somebody.
- Length-wise: at least 2 short games (under 10h to beat) and 2 medium (under 15-20h). You can use HLTB to check the time, or more conveniently the Enhanced Steam browser extension (it shows the HLTB time directly on the game's steam page). That rule can be overridden by the bottom (i.e. pick 5 short games) but not the other way around, as not everybody has the same time to dedicate to gaming.
- Pick two SG wins unless the person specified SG wins only, in which case pick only in the applicant's SG wins list.
- Quality-wise: at least 3 of the 5 games should have a positive (or above) rating. You can use this site to quickly sort games in a user's library by ratings (thanks to JaffaCaffa for the suggestion).
- Please, respect the applicant's choice regarding multiplayer-only and Early access games, as well as other requests (exclusion of certain genre etc.).
- Please use the code below to post your comment, it's already formatted, you just have to copy/paste & complete the data.
For Pickers. Just copy paste and complete the data :)
* [GAME#1](http://store.steampowered.com/app/GAME#1-ID/) - HLTB Time: GAME#1-HLTBTIME * [GAME#2](http://store.steampowered.com/app/GAME#2-ID/) - HLTB Time: GAME#2-HLTBTIME * [GAME#3](http://store.steampowered.com/app/GAME#3-ID/) - HLTB Time: GAME#3-HLTBTIME * [GAME#4](http://store.steampowered.com/app/GAME#4-ID/) - HLTB Time: GAME#4-HLTBTIME * [GAME#5](http://store.steampowered.com/app/GAME#5-ID/) - HLTB Time: GAME#5-HLTBTIME
Do I have to participate in this event?
No, this is an event to help you reduce your backlog. If you already have a plan and don't want anyone to pick games for you, you're free to ignore it.
What happens if I don’t participate in the event?
What happens if I play all the games picked for me this month?
Still nothing. (You might get a shiny profile badge at some later date. And you can come back for another batch.)
What if I don’t have time to play 5 games?
Don’t worry, one is enough, we’re just asking the pickers to select 5 to give the player a little choice.
One of the game picked for me won’t run on my computer for X or Y reason, what do I do?
If this happens, please notify the picker by replying his comment and ask them to pick a replacement. If the original picker don’t give you an answer within 24h, don’t panic, just leave a comment and we’ll pick one for you. Meanwhile, you could try one of the other picked games if you haven't played them all yet.
I played all 5 games that were picked for me and I want more!
If you have completed all 5 games and reported your completion to the original comment, you can make a new request for another list.
When picking for other people, can I only pick “never played” games?
Not necessarily, you can also pick games that seem to have been abandoned but haven’t been categorized as “won’t play”. No beaten or completed games, or games being currently played obviously.
Why are there so many rules for picking the games? I can’t be bothered!
We’re trying to make this enjoyable for everyone so if you decide to pick games for others, please read and follow the rules. I’ve tried to make it as easy as possible for the pickers too, but if it’s bothering you too much, remember you don’t need to pick games for others to join the challenge.
I’m new here, can I join the challenge?
Yes of course (and welcome to BLAEO). Please just be sure to have your games sorted by progress before signing up for the challenge, to make it easier for your picker.
Challenge me! Can I have only spooky games please? Or stuff that would fit this months theme
You don’t have that many pure horror games, so i tried my best for your picks.
- Darksiders 2 - HLTB Time: 20-29h (One of your only unplayed sg win, and it fits the theme)
- Yomawari: Night Alone - HLTB Time: 5h
- A Bloody Night - HLTB Time: ?
- Outlast - HLTB Time: 5h
- Higurashi When They Cry Hou - Ch. 5 Meakashi - HLTB Time: ? (Assuming you’ve finished the previous chapter)
Thank you \o/ everythings fine
although I’m probably going be a little bitch and nope out of outlast
I beat all my games last month, so hopefully I can keep that up even though I have some big projects for work coming up. Please treat my unfinished games the same as unplayed.
Stick it to The Man! - short
Anna’s Quest - short, win
BioShock™ Remastered - medium, theme
Corpse Party - medium, theme
Lakeview Cabin Collection - long, win, theme
I put the Remastered version of Bioshock but according to reviews there are some technical issues with it, if you want to change it to the original let me know.
It’s the first time I pick so let me know if I did anything wrong
Usually people use the format in the main post to include the How Long to Beat times, but don’t worry about adding them. Thanks for the picks! I read a review that said Stick it to The Man has a vibe similar to Psychonauts, which is one of my favorite games. I started playing Lakeview Cabin after I won it, but the enemies freaked me out and were stressful because of how much you need to have your shit together to beat them. I’m willing to give it another go though now that I’m actually being challenge to play it.
I love Stick it to The Man!, I’ve played it for the second time recently and it’s one of the funniest games I’ve played
Hey, I fully completed Corpse Party and beat Stick It To The Man!. There’s one achievement I want to try to get before uninstalling. I also started Anna’s Quest, and that will probably be the next game I beat. I really liked Corpse Party. Stick It was weird…I beat it in one sitting basically and then had weird dreams involving it.
This comment was deleted over 4 years ago.
I’ll give this is a try if someone is willing to pick for me even though I’m being difficult :
- please no survival horror or really scary games with jumpscares and stuff. But I’m ok with disturbing/creepy games.
- please only short games since I’m already doing other challenges and have a few other games started too
- please no games that are already on my monthly theme list
Lemme know if you want me to change any picks! Hope my picks aren’t too short, have fun. :)
- INSIDE - HLTB Time: 3-4 hours (SG Win) - My favourite of 2017, super atmospheric!
- Masochisia - HLTB Time: 2 hours (SG Win) - Have been intrigued by this one, fits theme.
- The Stanley Parable - HLTB Time: 1-6 hours - Another favourite!
- Detention - HLTB Time: 3-4 hours - This one’s highly wishlisted, don’t believe it’s jumpscare-y? Fits the theme.
- The Room - HLTB Time: 2 hours - Was recently challenged this one and very pleasantly surprised. Is tagged horror so fits theme, but it’s really just an enjoyable atmospheric puzzle game.
They’re fine, thanks for picking !
Masochisia and Detention I wanted to play soonish, The Room looks really nice too, The Stanley Parable I played it off Steam when it was released but I’d like to replay it, I’ll try to do INSIDE too but I’d like to go back to Limbo and finish it first (think I was close to the end but I got stuck on a section where I really couldn’t get the timing right)
Glad they worked out, I’ve been wanting to replay The Stanley Parable myself! Hope you enjoy the games.
I haven’t played LIMBO yet, but I’ve heard that INSIDE improves upon it and really shows how far the devs have come. A couple friends playing LIMBO also got stuck and said it’s a lot more trial and error. In INSIDE I found the puzzles enjoyable, never felt like I was fighting the controls (at least with a controller).
Finished The Room. That was really nice, looking forward to playing the other parts.
Finished The Stanley Parable, it was as great as I remembered, I’m glad I’ve replayed it.
Gotta wait 5 years for the achievement now.
Finished Detention, at first I wasn’t sure where the game was going but it turned out to be an interesting story
I haven’t done one of these in a while, but eh, lets go. Short only please.
Got to chapter 11 in Spec Ops: The Line before I lost my shit at just how bad the game actually is. I don’t understand how everyone liked the game so much, I really don’t.
I did 100% Bulb Boy after that :)
Bulb Boy - HLTB: 2 Hours
Getting Over It with Bennett Foddy - I saw on Youtube how people beat this game in like 5 minutes, so it’s probably a very short game
KHOLAT - HLTB: 4½ Hours.
Remember Me - HLTB: 10 Hours. I consider this as short
Silence - HLTB: 5½ Hours
Spec Ops: The Line - HLTB: 6 Hours
So I picked games that I like or want to play
Getting Over It with Bennett Foddy is a rage inducing game that I could not beat in over 45 minutes let alone in 5. I am definitely not touching that one again, but I will for sure try my best with the rest. Thank you for picking! :)
Ok, that was a joke. I know what this game is about and even kinda like it. But if you don’t want to play I changed a game ^__^
My bad them, my joke detector seems to have gone bust :D I was actually worried what kind of videos on the game you watched :D I was gonna play Spec Ops: The Line today for a different challenge so I will for sure take that instead :P
Challenge me, please!
I’d prefer games of the spooky nature, though I’m not okay with multiplayer-only, but early-access is okay. Please pick games with achievements, as that’s my one metric for completion. Thank you!
Alan Wake - HLTB: 11 Hours. This is a good thriller with a strong influence of Stephen King.
Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs - HLTB: 4 Hours. You played the 1st one, so you know what this game is about.
DreadOut: Keepers of The Dark - HLTB: 5 Hours. It has “horror” in tags.
DreadOut - HLTB: 3 Hours/Hektor - HLTB: 2 Hours
Half-Life 2 - HLTB: 13 Hours. It has spooky chapters.
The Fall - HLTB: 3½ Hours. It’s kinda a thriller too.
Sure why not! Challenge me!
- Mainly playing single player games at the moment;
- I’m a scardy cat, So rather not have spooky games (But I don’t mind trying it)
- Games with Achievements plz :3
If you’d like any of the picks swapped out just lemme know. :) Have fun!
- Oxenfree - HLTB Time: 4-13 hrs (SG Win) - Fits the theme, says it’s horror but shouldn’t be very scary? Have heard fantastic things about the story.
- Sanctum 2 - HLTB Time: 12 hrs (SG Win) - Really enjoyable FPS tower defense (can play solo just fine).
- FAR: Lone Sails - HLTB Time: 3 hrs - Highly wishlisted, looks fantastic!
- Costume Quest - HLTB Time: 5-7 hrs - A Halloween game that fits the theme, while also being a comedy. :)
- Life is Strange: Before the Storm - HLTB Time: 10-12 hrs - With all the LiS 2 hype I wanna play this one even more!
Thanks for the list :3
I just beat FAR: Lone Sails. Totally didn’t know I had the game :D But It’s so darn cute <3
Kudos, that was quick! So glad you enjoyed it!! Looks completely like my cup of tea, instantly fell in love with the trailer. Excited that it was just as good as expected. :D
Challenge me. No MP-only and I would prefer SG wins
You truely have won a lot! Let me know if you want to change something and have fun :)
Stories: The Path of Destinies - HLTB: 7h - I had some pretty fun times with it :)
Layers of Fear - SG Win - HLTB: 3-4h - Because it’s Halloween!
Shiness: The Lightning Kingdom - SG Win - HLTB: 20h - It’s on my wishlist and I would love to hear your opinion!
LiEat - SG Win - HLTB: 4,5h - Also Halloween-themed. It’s really cute tho
Else Heart.Break() SG Win - HLTB: 13,5-23h - I heard good things about it although I’ve never tried it myself.
This comment was deleted over 4 years ago.
Please challenge me! I need more morivation \o/
Please don’t pick games which take too long to beat this month, everything else should be fine ^_^
- Akihabara - Feel the Rhythm - HLTB Time: 2 hours - Played it for quite a bit for the achievements. It’s not awful, but it’s also not great. It’s the only sg wins and it’s pretty short so I picked it.
- Hammerwatch - HLTB Time: 8 hours - Bought and played this one with my friends. A lot of fun! Not sure about the singleplayer experience tho. Feel free to ask for swap if you want. :3
- Mini Ninjas - HLTB Time: 8 hours - Played the demo of this game way back when it came out on PS3. Really cute and quite fun.
- Orwell - HLTB Time: 4.5 hours - On my To Play list for a while now. Heard good things about it.
- Time Gentlemen, Please! (+ Ben There, Dan That! ?) - HLTB Time: 5.5+2 hours - Is it the 2 game pack? Saw this game from a review on here. It said good things about this game so I thought why not? Play one or both games, up to you.
Not sure about unfinished games so I all picked never played. :3 Feel free to ask for any swaps~
Thank you for the list! :)
• Finished the campaign of Akihabara. You were right - it wasn’t awful but it is far far away from being good either.
• Finished Orwell.
• Finished Ben There, Dan That (oops totally forgot to update)
I just tried Hammerwatch today and I imagine it being fun when played together but sadly I don’t have anyone to play with. Is it to late for me for asking you to swap it? :/
Unfinished games would be okay too btw!
Oh sorry, I totally didn’t see this since you didn’t reply to my comment so I didn’t get notified. :o
Yeah it will probably be lacking a bit on the singleplayer department. I picked it since one of our friends did do quite a bit of singleplayer for achievements and he said it’s alright.
Just saw your update and it seems like you didn’t enjoy the games I picked. >< Hopefully next time you’ll have more fun playing picked games!
Oh I didn’t know, sorry!
But that’s not true! I’m totally in love with Mini Ninjas so far and if you hadn’t picked it for me I probably would’nt have wanted to play it. I’m just reaaaally slow atm and haven’t beaten it yet. <.<
Why not, yolo. Just please avoid games that try to scare you purely by popping something in front of you and making your neighbors think an alien invasion is happening.
- SOMA - HLTB Time: 9 hours - I put some google research into this and it seems SOMA doesn’t have cheap jump scares and when there are sort-of-jumpscares, you expect them because tension is being built up beforehand + you usually know that there’s a monster nearby, just not where. [Monthly theme.]
- Orwell: Keeping an Eye On You - HLTB Time: 4 hours - choices actually matter!
- Kingdom Rush - HLTB Time: 8 hours - my favourite tower defense series.
- Hexcells - HLTB Time: 2 hours - one of my favourite puzzle game series!
- XCOM: Enemy Unknown - HLTB Time: 26 h [SG win]
You don’t have many SG wins so I only picked one of those instead of two.
I tried including different types of games, so hopefully you’ll find something you like, but let me know if you want any of these swapped for something else.
Thank you for the list. I will certainly try to complete all of them. Ye, my luck is pretty bad when it comes to giveaways and similar things. I was planning on playing Kingdom Rush and Hexcells at some point, but all of them will get a shot from me.
I guess I’ll try it out. :P I’m this late cuz I was hesitating on joining since I did horribly last month. ><
Please mostly pick shorter games.
No multiplayer games.
Fine with early access.
No horror since I already challenged myself in the monthly theme. ;-;
For easier picking, look at To Play and ABC plan lists. :3
As always, thanks for digging through my huge backlog. x3
- 2064: Read Only Memories - HLTB Time: 8 Hours - SG win
- A Hat in Time - HLTB Time: 8 Hours - SG win, has one level that fits theme
- Blue Estate The Game - HLTB Time: 3 Hours - SG win
- LIMBO - HLTB Time: 3 Hours - theme
- Quantum Conundrum - HLTB Time: 6 Hours
Let me know if that’s ok
It’s quite alright, although I’m not sure if I’ll be able to finish any. I’ll try!
Thanks for picking. :)
I guess I’ll do a status report since the next Challenge me has gone up.
Only finished LIMBO. Enjoyed it very much! So thanks for picking. :D Review is on my profile if you’re interested. :3
Last challenge me went great, so let’s try it again. :)
I don’t mind theme related games and jump scares(i think ^_^), just no MP-only games :D
- Neverending Nightmares - HLTB Time: 1.5 hours - One that fits the monthly theme and a sg wins. Pretty short according to HLTB.
- Dungeon of the Endless - HLTB Time: 7 hours - I’ve been keeping my eye on this game for a bit ever since I saw a review on Youtube. Seems like a really interesting and fun rogue-like.
- Between Me and The Night - HLTB Time: 3 hours - This fits the monthly theme and I am playing it right now. It’s quite a good game with minor horror. I really like it. :3
- Hacknet - HLTB Time: 7 hours - I would recommend this game to anyone that I come across with that haven’t played it. It’s quite a nice game with ok learning curve and visualizes well so that you won’t have to use commands all the time. I enjoyed it a lot. And somehow it has a horror tag? xD
- Spec Ops: The Line - HLTB Time: 6 hours - This one I would also recommend it to anyone. Albeit, this game is not for everyone. Some people will love it, some people will think it’s meh, but all of the people that I recommended playing all said it’s a great game. I won’t say anything about the story since it’s the most important thing about the game. Just play till the very end. :)
Hope that length wise these aren’t too short. Feel free to ask for any swaps!
Great game selection, thanks :)
Really dont remember having Neverending Nightmares and Between Me and The Night, but they look cool. Did you play Hacknet DLC too, just curious is it any good? :D Spec Ops: The Line is one of the games i am not sure if i played it before, but will check it anyway. And Dungeon of the Endless was wishlisted game, looking forward to playing it :D
I don’t have the DLC so I didn’t play it. :P Spec Ops: The Line really is very unique. x3 Hope you’ll enjoy Dungeon of the Endless~
I dont know why i though Between Me and The Night was P&C, but it looks interesting so far :)
And Hacknet is great so far, enjoying the game. Also i figured i have spare key for Hacknet Labyrinths DLC, so you can have it if you want :)
plz challenge me
no multiplayer games
pref atleast one sg win
- Nightmares from the Deep 3: Davy Jones - HLTB Time: 4 hours (SG win)
- Shelter 2 - HLTB Time: 2 hours (SG win)
- Oxenfree - HLTB Time: 4 hours [I really loved it, it exceeded all my expectations!]
- Orwell: Keeping an Eye On You - HLTB Time: 4 and a half hours [This is the second time this month that I’m picking Orwell for someone. :) It really is just that good!]
- Mad Max - HLTB Time: 19 and a half hours
I wanted to pick soooo many more! Found quite a few games that I really liked, but these 5 will have to do for now. :)
alrighty then! thank you for the effort, and you can pick more for me next time if ya want:D starting with shelter 2.
Reply here, in case of questions/issues
Not really an issue, but I think you should add a guideline just saying that it will consist of 5 games (or write it in the intro text).
As it is now you can only get that info from other guidelines (like “the 5 games can be picked out of your SG wins” or “at least 3 of the 5 games should have a positive (or above) rating”)
Hehe, yeah. When I have the time, I’ll rewrite the guidelines a bit to make them more clear for the next round.
Right now we usually just exchange the first couple of lines and use it as it was. Without rereading the post all over.