And here comes another round. Like every round, please consider to pick at least one game that is also a valid monthly game. So head to your applicants "Won't play"-list and pick one of these game.
- You are allowed to ask a specific person to pick for you, but that person can only be asked to pick for someone specific once. For example: Mandril askes me to pick for him. I do that, but later Nelly also wants me to pick for her. I cannot pick for Nelly anymore, someone else needs to do that.
- You are only allowed to pick for up to 2 members in total. So if you already picked for 2 and you are asked to pick for someone specific you have to pass and another member should pick the games. Exception: Nobody picked games for 24 hours.
The main goal of this is of course to motivate you to reduce your backlog and help you pick some games to do just that. And you can help others do the same!
If you've used the Steam group forums at all, you may have also seen a suggestion about profile badges, including participation badges for themes. We thought for this additional and hopefully regular) event, we will give out two permanent badges that basically level up the more you participate, one for finishing challenges (up to 2 per month) and one for issuing challenges/picking for others. Since badges are still quite a ways off, we'll keep an internal spreadsheet for now, so if we ever implement that, your "progress" won't be lost ;)
This round will last until September 15th
Post your application for this month’s challenge as a reply here. Please before doing so, read the corresponding section below. Also, if you decide to pick games for others, read the corresponding section before you do so. If you encounter any problem with the games that were picked for you (either technical or if you think they don’t follow the guidelines) and can’t solve it with your picker, please leave a message as a reply of the first comment.
- Please make sure your games are sorted by completion before applying.
- If you so desire and you have at least 5 unplayed SG wins, the 5 games can be picked out of your SG wins (instead of only 2/5). Just note it in your application comment.
- Note in your post if you're ok playing multiplayer only games.
- Same for Early Access (I know some people want to wait for release).
- When you finish one (or more) of the games picked for you, please post an update by replying to your picker's comment.
- If the game has achievements, you can link to either the Steam or Astats page corresponding to your progress.
- If the game doesn't have achievements, please post a screenshot showing your completion.
- Finally, if you have completed all the games that were assigned to you but want another go at it, feel free to post another application.
- You can pick for/challenge up to 2 fellow assassins, please refrain to pick more so everybody who wants get a chance at it.
- You can pick for anybody who has applied and hasn't been given a list yet, unless they specified otherwise (see next point). It is recommended to signal with a "reserved" comment that you're currently picking for that person. This way it'll avoid the situation where you spend time picking games just to come back to somebody's comment 2 minutes prior.
- Please use the following criteria when picking a list for somebody.
- Length-wise: at least 2 short games (under 10h to beat) and 2 medium (under 15-20h). You can use HLTB to check the time, or more conveniently the Enhanced Steam browser extension (it shows the HLTB time directly on the game's steam page). That rule can be overridden by the bottom (i.e. pick 5 short games) but not the other way around, as not everybody has the same time to dedicate to gaming.
- Pick two SG wins unless the person specified SG wins only, in which case pick only in the applicant's SG wins list.
- Quality-wise: at least 3 of the 5 games should have a positive (or above) rating. You can use this site to quickly sort games in a user's library by ratings (thanks to JaffaCaffa for the suggestion).
- Please, respect the applicant's choice regarding multiplayer-only and Early access games, as well as other requests (exclusion of certain genre etc.).
- Please use the code below to post your comment, it's already formatted, you just have to copy/paste & complete the data.
For Pickers. Just copy paste and complete the data :)
* [GAME#1](http://store.steampowered.com/app/GAME#1-ID/) - HLTB Time: GAME#1-HLTBTIME * [GAME#2](http://store.steampowered.com/app/GAME#2-ID/) - HLTB Time: GAME#2-HLTBTIME * [GAME#3](http://store.steampowered.com/app/GAME#3-ID/) - HLTB Time: GAME#3-HLTBTIME * [GAME#4](http://store.steampowered.com/app/GAME#4-ID/) - HLTB Time: GAME#4-HLTBTIME * [GAME#5](http://store.steampowered.com/app/GAME#5-ID/) - HLTB Time: GAME#5-HLTBTIME
Do I have to participate in this event?
No, this is an event to help you reduce your backlog. If you already have a plan and don't want anyone to pick games for you, you're free to ignore it.
What happens if I don’t participate in the event?
What happens if I play all the games picked for me this month?
Still nothing. (You might get a shiny profile badge at some later date. And you can come back for another batch.)
What if I don’t have time to play 5 games?
Don’t worry, one is enough, we’re just asking the pickers to select 5 to give the player a little choice.
One of the game picked for me won’t run on my computer for X or Y reason, what do I do?
If this happens, please notify the picker by replying his comment and ask them to pick a replacement. If the original picker don’t give you an answer within 24h, don’t panic, just leave a comment and we’ll pick one for you. Meanwhile, you could try one of the other picked games if you haven't played them all yet.
I played all 5 games that were picked for me and I want more!
If you have completed all 5 games and reported your completion to the original comment, you can make a new request for another list.
When picking for other people, can I only pick “never played” games?
Not necessarily, you can also pick games that seem to have been abandoned but haven’t been categorized as “won’t play”. No beaten or completed games, or games being currently played obviously.
Why are there so many rules for picking the games? I can’t be bothered!
We’re trying to make this enjoyable for everyone so if you decide to pick games for others, please read and follow the rules. I’ve tried to make it as easy as possible for the pickers too, but if it’s bothering you too much, remember you don’t need to pick games for others to join the challenge.
I’m new here, can I join the challenge?
Yes of course (and welcome to BLAEO). Please just be sure to have your games sorted by progress before signing up for the challenge, to make it easier for your picker.
I’m up for the challenge :)
I’m fine with early access and multiplayer along with anything else. I have a lot of games in my unplayed list that don’t have save datas or I haven’t played in ages so those are an option too.
Since you have all of your SteamGifts wins beaten/completed, I picked all five games from your “never played” category.
- Agatha Christie: The ABC Murders - HLTB Time: 6,5h
- A Magical High School Girl / 魔法の女子高生 - HLTB Time: 12h
- Resident Evil 0 / biohazard 0 HD REMASTER - HLTB Time: 9,5h
- ibb & obb - HLTB Time: 6,5h
- Blade Kitten - HLTB Time: 5h
The first one I finished myself and I can say that it’s a pretty nice detective adventure with unique graphics. The second one looks like an interesting RPG and is on your “want to play” list so I figured - why not :D Third one is also on said list and gives the challenge a bit of variation, being a horror game. Fourth one is a co-op platformer, again for some diversity. The last one is also described as a platformer on it’s Steam page, but looks more like a hack-and-slash kind of thingy so I thought it would make a nice addition :)
Challenge me! I don’t have much time but I will do what I can :P, feel free to pick whatever you want anyway. I’m still sorting my games yet but most of them are already sorted.
I picked shorter games for you, lemme know if you want me to switch anything. :) Saw a couple were “unfinished” but had no/little achievements, so hopefully they’re okay still!
- Q.U.B.E/Director’s Cut - HLTB Time: 3 Hours - (SG Win) I’m halfway through this one, and issues aside was quite enjoying it.
- Beatbuddy: Tale of the Guardians - HLTB Time: 5 Hours - (SG Win) I’ve been meaning to play this one for years now, looks like fun + has a poppin’ soundtrack.
- LEGO® The Hobbit™ - HLTB Time: 8 Hours - (SG Win)
- SUPERHOT - HLTB Time: 2 Hours - Short, but had an absolute blast with this one.
- Hue - HLTB Time: 4 Hours - This one’s high up in my list of games I need to check out!
Edit: Sorry to whoever picked after me. :(
Hi! I think lego the hobbit is made for controller( only have one a ps4 one) if there is any problem with that I will tell you!
I played a bit of beatbuddy and its pretty nice, a game that you almost move with the beat and I like moving with the beat :P
This comment was deleted over 4 years ago.
Hi, I’d love to be challenged by someone :)
Feel free to pick anything that I have on my account as long as it’s not on my “won’t play” list.
- Praetorians - HLTB Time: 23 hrs. This is your only unplayed win, but if it’s to0 long then you can switch it out for Super Army of Tentacles 3. Which is an unfinished win.
- Alan Wake - HLTB Time: 11 hrs - I really enjoyed this game. It’s a little outdated but it still has an interesting story. Especially if you enjoy Stephen King or Twin Peaks.
- Emily is Away Too - HLTB Time: 2 hrs - I haven’t played this one but it’s short and it looks interesting.
- Tales from the Borderlands - HLTB Time: 10 hrs - Telltale’s best game imo. I played this before playing any other Borderlands game, so you don’t need prior knowledge.
- Spec Ops: The Line - HLTB Time: 6 hrs - A shooter with a very good story.
I only put 1 win since you finished most of them. You have so many good games though so if you want me to switch any of them out then let me know!
Thank you! Very interesting choices, I don’t think I’ll be switching anything.
To be honest I think that Praetorians may end up being shorter than Army of Tentacles, even though I’m already 7 hours in on the latter ;)
I just finished Emily is Away Too!
It was a pretty fun high schoool/college drama simulator in a form of an instant messenger. It was weird in a way - sometimes it made me kind of care about the “people” I was talking to, sometimes the conversation felt a bit forced and long (which is quite bizzare in a two-hour-long game :D), but in the end I really liked it. Thank you again for picking it!
I started Praetorians and at the same time started to question if I will be able to beat it, as I managed to lose the tutorial. I still claim that it was the game’s fault, because it told me that enemy cavalry will “attack from the right side” so I put my pikemen on the right side to protect my flank. But what it really meant was “it will come from an opening on the right, but only after you pass it, so you’ll actually get attacked from behind. Right where your unprotected archers are. Muahahahaha”. Like I could have seen that coming, but c’mon game, it’s the tutorial, you’re not supposed to lie to me like that yet! Nevertheless I think I like it, even though it’s quite difficult.
Nice, I’ve heard mixed things about Emily is Away Too so it’s interesting to hear your take. Glad you like the games overall! Do you want me to replace Praetorians with another game? I’m really bad at games like that so I know what you mean about the difficult :P
I think I’ll give it some time. I played quite a lot of RTSes as a child and I remember being quite good at them, at least then :D
Hello! I’m… less than confident in my ability to stick to a challenge, but I figured it’d be fun to get some outside perspective on what games to look into next at least! :V
Unplayed and unfinished games are all fine.
- TIS-100 - HLTB Time: GAME#1-15 Hrs Programming at the embedded level :3 (sg win)
- Kingdom: New Lands - HLTB Time:8 hrs (sg win)
- Wuppo - HLTB Time: 9 hrs (cute platformer I played for my last challenge me)
- Teslagrad - HLTB Time: 5 hrs (I remember liking this years and years ago)
- Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight - HLTB Time: 4hrs (reallyyyyyy fun plat former with almost a soulslike slow combat)
Thank you! Some games there that I’d thought about trying a while ago but never did (and TIS-100 which intimidates the heck out of me haha)
was iffy on doing this challenge me cause of my POP and cause I thought for sure this month would have a wont play category but as it doesn’t…and as I haven’t skipped a month in half a year :3
Challenge me \o/
everything’s fair game cause I only have a few more weeks before school starts again,
Please treat gifts the same as wins
- GOD EATER 2 Rage Burst - HLTB Time: 64 hours
- GOD EATER RESURRECTION - HLTB Time: 31 hours
- DISTRAINT: Deluxe Edition - HLTB Time: 2 hours
- Evoland - HLTB Time: 3.5 hours
- A Hat in Time - HLTB Time: 8.5 hours
- Broken Age - HLTB Time: 10 hours
The first two is from your sg wins. Since I’m not sure which one comes first plus the other one needs third party DRM, pick whichever you want, or ask me to replace it entirely. Up to you. :3
And DISTRAINT, played it for the monthly, quite nice. :D Although I got scared quite a lot, but I think that’s just me with horror. x3
Evoland, you picked for me, I’ll pick for you~Fair game. :P
The last 2 I’ve heard quite some good things about them, so maybe give them a try.
I’d like to join! I’m really not sure how this month will go, so might only play 1 or 2 but would still love to give it a go. :) Please shorter games <10 hours. You can also treat “Gifted” as the same as SG Wins, or forgo them entirely. Whatever you fancy.
- Oneshot - HLTB Time: 4 hrs
- Tiny and Big: Grandpa’s Leftovers - HLTB Time: 2 1/2 hrs
- A Hat In Time - HLTB Time: 8 1/2 hrs
- Fran Bow - HLTB Time: 7 1/2 hrs
- Ori and the Blind Forest - HLTB Time: 8 1/2
I’ve played all of these (except tiny and big) and they are all great games. I found so many other good games you own though so if you want to switch out then let me know! Also if you are a completionist and those are to long, then feel free to tell me. Have fun!
Those are all good picks, thanks stef. :)
Edit: Never updated this (but messaged Stef a bit of my thoughts), finished Oneshot and really enjoyed it - especially the entire “true ending”. Didn’t feel separate at all, but rather a much needed half of the game and what made me REALLY appreciate it that much more. So good, highly recommend!
Count me in! Last one. One done and one in progress. Got lots of games that need done. >~<
Prefer shorter games.
No multiplayer games.
Fine with early access.
No horror, ever.
For easier picking, look at To Play and ABC plan lists. :3
As always, thanks for digging through my huge backlog. x3
- Lilly Looking Through - HLTB Time: 2 hrs (SG win, short and cute point-and-click adventure)
- fault - milestone one - HLTB Time: 6 hrs (SG win, excellent visual novel with strong worldbuilding and no meaningless repetition)
- SteamWorld Heist - HLTB Time: 12 hrs (supposed to be great; I need to play it myself!)
- Epistory - Typing Chronicles - HLTB Time: 5 hrs (pretty, fun typing adventure)
- Megabyte Punch - HLTB Time: 7 hrs (action platformer with solid reviews)
Just finished a short spin-off VN from Alice in Dissonance and loved it, so I’m really just here to tell someone to read fault! Hopefully the other choices are good as well :P
I’ve been sucking at this lately, but I’d like to give it a go with another challenge anyway. Please treat my unfinished games the same as unplayed. Thanks!
reserved finished :3
|Kingdom: Classic (This one’s really great ^^)||7-13h|
|Odysseus Kosmos and his Robot Quest||5h|
|STAR OCEAN™ - THE LAST HOPE||50h|
I first looked through SG wins, (seems you really like adventure games ^^ ), but I didn’t want to choose too many similar ones, so I checked around a bit more and hopefully have found some nice picks.
I wasn’t sure how far unfinished ones should be considered, I thought about including Pillars of Eternity, but with 60+ hours it seemed to be a bit too much on the counter.
Hope you like those, with 4 short-to-medium and 1 long, but as always anything can be replaced if needed (・∀・)ノ
Thanks for the picks. My favorite genre is actually RPGs. I don’t have as many wins on those because I usually buy them, but adventure games are probably my second favorite. I wrote this guide for Star Ocean back in the day, but I didn’t totally finish it since they ended up releasing a new version with more chests and maybe other content. Maybe I’ll use a replay as a reason to update it, but it used to be a lot more convenient as I had two screens.
Honestly, you could have picked PIllars of Eternity. I’m really slow because I look for shit everywhere. Also I probably left it up while asleep sometimes, lol.
favorite genre is actually RPGs. I don’t have as many wins on those because I usually buy them
The paradox of SG wins ^^
Wow it’s ages since I last saw a guide like that :D
I’m really slow because I look for shit everywhere
ha, me too ^^
could have picked Pillars of Eternity
In this case I will leave it up to you whether you want to finish Pillars or replay Star Ocean ;-)
Okay, so I beat Kingdom: Classic and Kholat. I played a few levels of Blade Kitten and 11 hours of Pillars of Eternity (I figured it was best to finish what I started, especially since it’s an SG win). That said, I still haven’t beaten Pillars. :) I had fun with Kholat and Kingdom. Blade Kitten isn’t really one of my favorite genres, and it seemed like it would be kind of long. It wasn’t bad, though, and had interesting gameplay, so I’ll finish it.
I didn’t start Odysseus. That’s okay, because I can’t beat it yet until they release the last chapter. Thanks for the picks!
I would love to make my very first “Challenge me” - Challenge. So let’s got. I’m exciting what someone’s going to pick for me.
As I happen to be here just after your post I gonna pick real quick for you too ^^
(any preferences regarding length or genre?)
Pick what you want, but I prefer games that are not so super long. :) Thank you for your time :)
First of all you have a ton of awesome SG wins (I’m really envious haha xD ), I could have easily picked like 10 or 20 more great games from there alone.
|Kingdom: Classic (This one’s really great ^^)||7-13h|
|Into the Stars||4h|
|WILL: A Wonderful World||12h|
Despite it being somewhat on the longer side, I just couldn’t not choose Nier ^^
I wasn’t too sure about the games you’ve already started, whether you wanted to continue them or not. So I did not choose these 2, but if any of the other don’t fit, they can be switched in if you want:
I was also eyeing The Council but it seems to be episodic and not complete yet, so I skipped that one. Same also for Raft, as I guess it does not have a story mode or campaign and is still in early access (also goes for My Time At Portia). But very nice titles nonetheless.
First of all: Thank you! Your list shows me, that I should put a few games to my “won’t play” list.
I’ve played the new version of Kingdom on PC and X-Box and I love it, so you’re absolutely right with saying it’s really great :).
I will play Firewatch till the end, but unfortunatly I’m suffered from Motion Sickness, and I can play that game only for 15 or 20 minutes and then I get sick. :(
And Hob, hm, I sadly have to say, I don’t like it. Don’t know why, but I can’t get fun out of it.
The other picks were really great and that you’ve picked these games that I don’t like much was my fault. I should arrange my list.
Maybe, if you got time, you can pick 2 new games instead of “Kingdom: Classic” and “Hob”.
Again, thank you very much and I know what I play first :)))
(Just to note, it seems you did not press the reply button on my post so it made a new one below, but luckily I still caught it ^^ )
played the new version of Kingdom on PC and X-Box and I love it, so you’re absolutely right with saying it’s really great :).
Great than this one is covered (The music is just so awesome :D )
suffered from Motion Sickness, and I can play that game only for 15 or 20 minutes
Ah damn, I have similar but fortunately can usually play a bit longer on most games. Is it only that bad for you for this one title or all with 3D?
No need to play it, if it is that bad only ruins the fun, I can switch that one too.
And Hob, hm, I sadly have to say, I don’t like it. Don’t know why, but I can’t get fun out of it.
No worries, it’s just very well reviewed and what I’ve seen of it looked nice, so for that I picked it, but of course not everybody likes every game, so I understand that.
Actually both Firewatch and Hob were not in the main list, so only the first 5 were the picks to play, meaning only Kingdom needs replacement ^^
Ok let’s see, the long game is already covered so a bunch of great titles are sadly out of the way like:
Kingdom Come: Deliverance, Tyranny, Tales of Berseria, STAR OCEAN, Planescape: Torment,Zero Escape: Zero Time Dilemma
Will choose them next time then ;-)
Looking a bit around I’ll take this one:
but if any other game turns out to be problematic, especially in regards to MS then I’ll have a few more spare alternatives, no problem ^^
and I know what I play first :)))
Which, which, don’t leave me in suspense like that xD
Ohhh, sorry. You little genius, thanks for reading the posts so detailed. :)
My motion sickness shows up mostly when I play First Person games. But it’s strange, some games with FP I never had problems like Fallout 4. And 3D platformers are also not so good and I get sick fast.
But the games you have picked are super, thank you. And I start playing right now …. drum roll …… Will: A wonderful world. I let you know, how much I like the game. :)
Have a super nice monday.
some games with FP I never had problems
Hard to tell sometimes why, but it’s game dependent for me too. What I found is that the FOV setting is very important, anything below 90 tends to be problematic. I usually set it to 100 if possible.
Could check in Firewatch if it can be changed, maybe that improves it for you too. ^^
Edit just looked it up and saw: “Default is 55°”, OMG that’s horrible, no wonder it causes issues. Fortunately it can be changed with a tool:
next time when you play it, best to try to do that :-)
Glad you like the chosen games, hope you will have lots of fun :D
Post here in case of issues